Brake cables

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi,
Trying to change cables on my CX bike however it has sealed outer cables that run all the way from the shifters to the disc caliber. The cabe seems to be pretty hard to push all the way through. The obvious answer would be to change the outer however the bike is pretty much new and I'm only changing the cable as its frayed.

any help would be good

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Correct size inner?

If yes then it sounds like you do need to change the otters as the resistance you are feeling will also make for poor shifting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • what is the correct size inner for road brakes?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edit
  • Roubaixtom wrote:
    what is the correct size inner for road brakes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGWIRE-Campa ... 5d40971486
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    For the sake of a few pounds and half an hour I would change both. I just did mine last weekend because I was fed up with the spongy feel - I made sure I cut them really square and the brakes are transformed.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    I bought a pair of 'self sharpening' Shimano Cable Cutters some years ago now. They were reduced to £38 at the time but worth every penny. They also keep the cable perfectly round when cutting.

Almost identical to this (Fleabay $69):

$_12.JPG

...and a bucket load of these is always handy:

$_12.JPG
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I bought a pair of 'self sharpening' Shimano Cable Cutters some years ago now. They were reduced to £38 at the time but worth every penny. They also keep the cable perfectly round when cutting.

Almost identical to this (Fleabay $69):

$_12.JPG

...and a bucket load of these is always handy:

$_12.JPG

Buy brake ferrules in bulk rather than gear ones as brake job it's will fit brake and gear cables perfectly - gear ones will only fit gear cables. Spend the money saved on Barolo and salami.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    I bought a pair of 'self sharpening' Shimano Cable Cutters some years ago now. They were reduced to £38 at the time but worth every penny. They also keep the cable perfectly round when cuttin...

Buy brake ferrules in bulk *rather than gear ones as brake job it's will fit brake and gear cables perfectly - gear ones will only fit gear cables. Spend the money saved on Barolo, Lavazza Qualita D'Oro, Parmigiano Reggiano, Montefiascone (Blanco), Est Est Est (Blanco), Nuits St George's (oops), Prosciutto, posters of Caterina Murino and my salami.

FTFY

*I do. I have lots of coloured one's too. :P
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!