1x10...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just watched the mbr YouTube vid on going 1x10...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyiUoMS ... freload=10

He removes both chain rings and replaces them with one new ring. Why is he putting on a new ring? He doesn't explain why he's put a new ring on rather than just removing the smaller of the two rings and putting the existing large ring back on, which is what I expected him to do.

I've got a feeling this might be a dumb question, but I have no idea why.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Maybe he doesn't have the legs of steel needed to ride up steep hills in the original big ring.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Maybe to put a red one in - you do realise the go faster..
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe he put in a proper single ring with no ramps and pins there to improve shifting (and making derailing the chain less likely), oh in fact that is exactly what he tells you! (3:41)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Actually, I've just watched it again and he does say "Single ring specific, no ramps, no cutaways, no pins and 32 tooth." So I think my answer was there all along. Although, give than 'know nothings' like myself are going to be watching, I think he should have been a little more forthcoming on why you wouldn't just leave the old ring on there.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    He is pretty clear about it. What else does he need to say?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As an ageing drug addled rock star I'm sure he's doing his best.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    He is pretty clear about it. What else does he need to say?

Well, his explanation is fine for those who understand this stuff (i.e.the people who don't need this video). But for those that don't, he did rather breeze over it - there was no explanation as to why any of that mattered, it was a simple a non-contextual spec list of the new ring. He really should have give it a bit of "And here's why you need all these attributes if you're going 1x10..." I had to go off and trawl a load of other resources to find out why all that mattered which, while not a hardship, does make the mbr video a little incomplete for knownowts like myself.
  • The Rookie
    If he went into the same detail on each aspect the video would be 5 times longer, also the video is a how to video, not a why..... The YouTube equivalent of RTFM applies here, if you'd listened to it properly you'd have heard it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    If he went into the same detail on each aspect the video would be 5 times longer, also the video is a how to video, not a why..... The YouTube equivalent of RTFM applies here, if you'd listened to it properly you'd have heard it.

I don't expect him to go into detail on every single aspect, just the crucial parts.
  • The Rookie
    Which he did, even though as a how to, it wasn't that relevant, but you just missed it, we are going round in circles really.....
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    ... we are going round in circles really.....

Only because you're wrong.
  • The Rookie
    You mean he didn't mention it...oh wait......3:41
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I think at the point most people look for 'how to' vids they already know why they want to.
  • Angus Young
    edited December 2014
    The Rookie wrote:
    You mean he didn't mention it...oh wait......3:41

O.K. you're really not listening now. Go back and read my posts again. Unless, of course, you consider "Something like this..." or "That'll do nicely." adequate explanation of why the spec matters. Remember, if you know why this matters you probably don't need this video in the first place. Would it really have killed him to add another 10 seconds to a 14 minute video to cover why you shouldn't just whip off the small ring?
  • Angus Young
    WindyG wrote:
    I think at the point most people look for 'how to' vids they already know why they want to.

I know why I want to, but I didn't know why I'd want a new ring. That's what he didn't tell us.
  • The Rookie
    Actually, I've just watched it again and he does say "Single ring specific, no ramps, no cutaways, no pins and 32 tooth." So I think my answer was there all along.
    Really?

You like my teenage daughter, never taking responsibility for anything!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Put the hand bags away ;)
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    Actually, I've just watched it again and he does say "Single ring specific, no ramps, no cutaways, no pins and 32 tooth." So I think my answer was there all along.
    Really?

So, can you point out where in the video he explains why the spec he trots out is important? Can you point out where he explains why you need a new ring rather than just taking off the small ring?
  • The Rookie
    Well he's explained the differences, to most people that would be a strong suggestion as to the why.......most.......
  • Angus Young
    O.K.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    WindyG wrote:

I know why I want to, but I didn't know why I'd want a new ring. That's what he didn't tell us.

But as already pointed out the vid is a 'how to'
  • Angus Young
    WindyG wrote:
    WindyG wrote:

But as already pointed out the vid is a 'how to'

You don't learn much if you only learn 'how' and not 'why'.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    You can always do some search on your own ... now you know
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Angus Young
    Herdwick wrote:
    You can always do some search on your own ... now you know

And you could have read the thread and found that I did.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    And you could have read the thread and found that I did.

so what's the fuss about?!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Angus Young
    There isn't a fuss.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Really?

So, can you point out where in the video he explains why the spec he trots out is important? Can you point out where he explains why you need a new ring rather than just taking off the small ring?

In a nutshell, because you aren't going to have a decent range of gears if you leave one of the existing two rings on the front. If you leave the biggest on you will be walking uphill, if you leave the small one on you will be able to ride everywhere, slowly. A 32or 34 tooth ring combined with your existing cassette will mean that you probably only actually "lose" two or three gears (in terms of gear inches) overall (the very high and very low) and will give you a much better allround gearing. And then there's the ramps/pins/teeth issue (get a narrow/wide single ring). .....
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Angus Young
    In a nutshell, because you aren't going to have a decent range of gears if you leave one of the existing two rings on the front. If you leave the biggest on you will be walking uphill, if you leave the small one on you will be able to ride everywhere, slowly. A 32or 34 tooth ring combined with your existing cassette will mean that you probably only actually "lose" two or three gears (in terms of gear inches) overall (the very high and very low) and will give you a much better allround gearing. And then there's the ramps/pins/teeth issue (get a narrow/wide single ring). .....

Finally! Thank you. Although I've now figured that out by looking elsewhere that's all he needed to say in the video for it to make sense for the kind of people it's aimed at. To suggest, as some have here, that he didn't need to say that because it was a 'how to' video or that you should guess from him just reading out a cold spec is silly.

I went for a 34T.