new wheel /tyre advice - probably for the hundredth time.

skinnydog
skinnydog Posts: 48
edited December 2014 in Cyclocross
Never ever ridden off road. Ever. But...having ridden past many tracks and bridleways dissappearing across the tops of fells on my regular road rides, I want a new dimension to my road riding and explore them. problem is Ive got 4 road bike already and wife would literally chop my balls off if another bike (cx) appeared in the garage, so... am basically after advice about the feasibility of either buying a set of sturdy cx wheels or could i put a set of cx tyres on my fulcrum 3 rims to keep costs down ? Having measured the clearance on my sturdy winter frame, it appears i have about 8mm clearance either side of the current tyres (25mm) to the fork / seat stays and about 5mm to the brake bridge. Would a set of cx wheels and tyres be the best option and would they likely fit ?
Any advice appreciated, and if tyres are advised, which ones as a considerable amount of tarmac would be rolled over to get to these tracks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you are talking about a standard road bike with caliper brakes, then CX tyres will almost certainly not fit, due to a lack of clearance..
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Reframe winter bike into a cross frame? My cross bike is also my winter bike.