mudguards for a Hybrid

cskasofia
cskasofia Posts: 34
edited December 2014 in The workshop
Got a Merida Hybrid and have already got a set of MTB mudguards fitted, which I feel don't offer enough coverage.

Was looking at what else is on the market today, and found it all a bit confusing.

The wheels are 700c, the front fork has suspension, the bike has disc brakes, and is currently fitted with a 38 and 40mm tyre.

When buying mudguards, can I only get ones that are listed for 700c wheels? I assume the width has to be able to accomodate the width of the tyres?

I've checked out a few SKS sets and I think the rear mudguard will fit OK. With the front I can see difficulties with the fork having suspension, and the disc brakes.

Has anyone got any recommendations or advice?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wheel size is only a guide, a big MTB tyre has the same radius as a small 700c.

Yes, use the width as the key to choosing.

Some suspension forks have a mounting hole in the arch and/or on the bottoms of the legs for mudguards, you need to find out what you have, even without holes at the bottom of the legs you can use cable ties to hold the mount in place, the mudguard will move up and down with the suspension.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Most common hybrid bikes accept a bolt-on rear mudguard and an MTB style front. No-one sells this as a pair.