Fulcrum Quattros

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Very cheap on Wiggle at the moment (under £200), very tempted, lighter (1725g) than stock Miche wheels on my Cinelli and I've had some Fulcrums before and very pleased with them...hmmmm...this or Zondas or handbuilts (much more ££££s) :?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I've just got some for my Kuota, was offered them as a replacement for the failed Zonda offer that Wiggle messed up. I've only been out on them once but as it was on a new bike I hadn't ridden on any other wheels it's hard to say whether it was the wheels or frame but they felt stiff and responsive to me. They are a very nice looking wheelset as well, the slightly deeper rims suit the Kuota very well without being too aero and wind affected. On the basis of my very limited use I would say they are well worth the money, they were about 100g heavier than advertised by the way, with skewers. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience of them will come along soon.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the Quattros are great wheels for the money if you like how they look.
    Only thing I found is that they hold a lot of water and have to be drained after being out in heavy rain.

I prefer Fulcrum 3's spoke pattern and colours to the Zonda's, but guess the Zonda's are probably the best value maybe.
  • I've been using Quattros on my winter/commuter bike for about 9 months and so far I am very impressed. They are very stiff laterally with no hint of brake rub when you are out the saddle, and they have coped well with the battering they get on the rough roads around Edinburgh. Not the lightest perhaps but at £200 I reckon they make a great set of training wheels.

Incidentally I have compared them back to back with Racing Ones on my summer bike and the difference was very noticeable, the Ones feeling a fair bit more sprightly, but then they are at least double the price of the Quattros so they ought to be better!