Old frame, new parts?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
This should probably be in Workshop, but hey

Anyway, have just bought some lightly-used Tiagra bits off here, and want to put them on my old (180s) steelie. It's been stretched for modern wheels, so that's OK - it's the Bottom Bracket that I'm not sure about, at the moment it's got a cheap Truvativ / Shimano combo with square taper axle; the new model Tiagra has a more modern set up.

Will it just 'drop in'?????

And also - where do I get the adaptors for turning D/T shifter bosses into cable guides for STIs???? (Riding the bike yesterday reminded me of just how cack D/T shifters are - even nice, 9 speed DA ones).

Probably more stupid questions to follow but that's it for now!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Assuming it's a standard BS threaded BB shell you can remove the square taper cartridge BB, clean up the threads and apply a dollop of copperslip, and screw in the Tiagra outboard bearings. Chainset will then just slide in, NDS crank on, gently preload the bearings with the plastic cap, make sure the little safety tab is in position then progressively tighten the pinch bolts. Robert's your relative.

Assuming you have the requisite tools? (Crank puller, cartridge BB tool, Hollowtech 2 BB tool incl plastic preload cap tool)

SJS Cycles are a good source of stuff like DT boss mount cable stops. eg:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-allo ... -prod5511/

Alternatively you could make do with a band-on adapter.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    @keef66: Great job, thanks - sounds straight forward, have all the relevant tools. Will get those adapters as they look much neater.

It's just a hill. Get over it.