Afan Skyline

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited December 2014 in Routes
I'm thinking of doing Skyline this weekend. Does anyone know how much of it is closed and is it still worth riding?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    It's crap anyway, I'd do w2 personally
  • rockmonkeysc
    W2 gets too busy and I have done it twice. Part of what I dislike about trail centres is that you never get away from the crowds. Im hoping Skyline will be much quieter, more scenic and a fairly tough ride. The final descent of Skyline is excellent, I have ridden up Whites Level climb and straight back down Skyline a couple times.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I suppose I can understand that. I just don't think the trail justifies all that effort just for the final descent.

But it's still riding so it must be OK :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    As much as I love tech downhill, once in a while I enjoy a long, tough drag in interesting scenery. That's what I'm hoping for.
    As long as it's on a bicycle and not on road it's good.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The final descent of Skyline is excellent, I have ridden up Whites Level climb and straight back down Skyline a couple times.

If you haven't been in a while, bear in mind that a lot has changed in the last year or so - some of Skyline has been closed completely, and Blade has replaced it in parts. Skyline now only exists as an additional loop off of the Blade trail, which in itself shares the main climb out of Glyncorrug with Whites/W2, so that first climb is busy.

Have a look at the new map, here:
    http://mbwales.com/media/viewfile.aspx? ... filetype=4
  • rockmonkeysc
    We got to the end of Granada and decided the weather was a bit too Welsh, sideways rain, freezing cold and windy so we turned back and finished on Blade.
    There's some good bits but mostly a bit unimaginative, nothing I haven't seen on dozens of other trails. The rocky section before Jetlag was pretty good, definitely more tech than anything on the old black section at the top of Whites Level. It does look a bit more intimidating than it really is though.