Mudguards for Caad8

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Any recommendation on what would be the best bet ?

Being a race orientated frame there isnt a huge amount of clearance so im guessing that rules out quite a few sets ?
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Curd Mk2 were about £18 on wiggle yesterday...
  • I think the CAAD8 does have mudguard mounting points? So perhaps look at proper guards there? Best place to ask about that is your LBS.

Other than that your choices are basically Crud Roadracer - full coverage but a giant bitch to fit and relies on parts of it rubbing your wheel to work, they didn't properly fit on mine

SKS Raceblade (they don't make the 'long' version any more), these tie onto your rear stays and forks with elastic bands and clearance doesn't matter as they only cover the rear of each wheel up to the brake capiler / fork, so not as good coverage but better than nothing.
  • iPete wrote:

Do you use them ? They look a bit flimsy and not sure on the concept of them being attached with just rubber bands ?
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• Tjgoodhew wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Do you use them ? They look a bit flimsy and not sure on the concept of them being attached with just rubber bands ?

The rubber bands are fine. My problem was that they ran so close to the tyre they didn't leave any space for mud etc.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    I use PDW full metal fenders on mine. Fit perfectly.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    iPete wrote:

I've used Raceblade Longs and Cruds. Both end up getting trashed but the Raceblades didn't last long on my CAAD8 before they fell apart, all the hinges breaking etc. Being rigid and having metal/hard plastic isn't always better.

You don't have that issue with the Cruds rubber bands and light construction, only they will break if you kick them (toe overlap) or get a nail in your tyre, as the clearance is very low. Both things have happened to me but fortunately you can get spares easily and I've had a few sets now, so plenty of bits to re-use when needed.

I've currently got Cruds on my winter fixed bike, they do the job.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Here's mine with Raceblade Longs:

14916632047_73778a45d6_b.jpg

They've been fine so far (3 months or so) and the coverage is good. The bit above the front wheel rattles annoyingly (this part is really for vanity only, anyway), but otherwise they seem secure enough. I sourced an additional fitting kit and put that onto another bike, giving me the option to swap the guards between bikes in a matter of seconds. I've had the Cruds on a previous bike and found them to be good too but, on removing them in the spring, I did find that they had damaged the paintwork a little at the mounting points and I had a stay detach itself during a ride once. Also, I have switched to 25mm rubber for the winter and find there is plenty of space with the Raceblades; I'm not sure whether the Roadracers would be so accomodating. In summary, detachable guards are good, but not perfect.

I imagine that full permanent guards should fit, given that the frame has mounting holes, but haven't tried.
  • 86inch
    Heres a picture of mine with PDWs....

IMAG0390_zpsb33ea6c4.jpg

They fit using the threaded mounting holes, don't rattle and give excellent coverage. I run 23mm tyres and i think you would struggle for clearance on the rear using any mudguard if you run 25mm tyres.
    Standard drop brakes don't make for good clearance especially at the rear.
  • vermin
    86inch wrote:
    i think you would struggle for clearance on the rear using any mudguard if you run 25mm tyres.
    Standard drop brakes don't make for good clearance especially at the rear.

Err, no (see above).

Bike looks nice in that paint scheme.
  • I decided to go with the Cruds - got a set for £19 so at that price thought they were worth a go.

Looking at the forecast im going to need them over the next couple of days

And anymore pictures of Caad8's are welcome. By far the best looking alu frame out there :)
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• Those PDW`s look very good and what a bonus there is no rattle to contend with, £65 is a tad expensive for guards though. In my experience Cruds are useless and such a chore to live with.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Fair swap

(Do I win the prize for the first person to say this?)
    Insert bike here:
  • 86inch
    PDWs are certainly expensive, but at least you can see where your money goes. Top notch quality.
    I really do not like the Crud-type clip on guards. They're rubbish compared to the real thing. The gold standard is really SKS Chromoplastic which are superb, i have them on my tourer and hybrid, but you do need yet more clearance for those. On a bike with long-drop brakes there is no other choice and at around £28, a bargain.
  • 86inch wrote:
    PDWs are certainly expensive, but at least you can see where your money goes. Top notch quality.
    I really do not like the Crud-type clip on guards. They're rubbish compared to the real thing. The gold standard is really SKS Chromoplastic which are superb, i have them on my tourer and hybrid, but you do need yet more clearance for those. On a bike with long-drop brakes there is no other choice and at around £28, a bargain.

With the PDW`s on the caad8 was it a long time to fit them and having to bend mounting arms to get some type of clearance over the tyres ?I had cruds once and I lifted the lid of our wheelie bin and dropped them straight in, utter rubbish .
  • 86inch
    They didn't take too long to fit. No arm bending required.
    Fronts were quite straightforward, the rears more fiddly and I did have to tinker with the rear bracket somewhat for optimal clearance and rattle-free performance, but certainly no worse than any other guards i've ever fitted.
  • vermin
    86inch wrote:

With the PDW`s on the caad8 was it a long time to fit them and having to bend mounting arms to get some type of clearance over the tyres ?I had cruds once and I lifted the lid of our wheelie bin and dropped them straight in, utter rubbish .

If you have the skill to set set them up properly, the Crud Roadracers are actually really good for their purpose.