Where is this years road grit?

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
In the case of West Yorkshires stocks, it all appears to have been dumped on the streets of my village....... :roll:

P1020697_zps44bca190.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yep we had a load last week sadly the rain has washed it away esp as my weather station is already flashing ice warnings and the temps are set to plummet tonight, its a good job it hasn't been raining ....oh wait :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    None yet in Cambs.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Only started gritting all the roads in County Durham from yesterday.

Although for some reason the car park at work has been knee deep in salt for about a month now. A bit of a change from the days when they did nothing to it I suppose.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Some grit was on the roads of Brizzle last night and a gritter was coming towards me doing the other side of the road so I braced myself and the gritter wasn't gritting so he might have paused as I passed.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Last night was the first night this winter they gritted here. Lovely salt all over the metal parts, nice.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Fresh spread of grit tonight which is wise as its 2c at 8pm
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rolf F wrote:
    In the case of West Yorkshires stocks, it all appears to have been dumped on the streets of my village....... :roll:

P1020697_zps44bca190.jpg

This is cause of the molases in the grit and using super soft compound tyres.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    redvee wrote:
    This is cause of the molases in the grit and using super soft compound tyres.

Not in this case. For one thing, that tyre is a Schwalbe Durano. No Marathon Plus (thankfully!) but not the softest tyre going. And secondly, I haven't noticed any of the issues that those in areas where molasses is added report. I think in this case it was simply that lots of grit was dumped on very slightly damp tarmac - enough to cause only a very small part of the salt in contact with the road to dissolve. That sticky wet bit then got stuck onto the tyre.

It all just scraped off the tyres very easily. I can now grit my doorstep! :lol:

P1020700_zps7cdd6d2b.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......