Can I replace an old type Tiagra caliper with a new one?

RSV_Ecosse
RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Or to be more accurate can I remove the Tiagra rear 4500 caliper and replace it with a Tiagra 4600 model? Any issues there? Halfrauds are flogging Tiagra 4600 calipers for £17. My original 4500 rear is suffering from the notorious 'seizing up all the time' issue despite me lubricating it frequently so I figured I'd just bite the bullet and replace it with a new one.

Can this be done with no problems? Ta!!
Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Seizing up?
    Better take it apart, clean and lube with grease then.
    Apart from that it'll work fine, the new model.
  • Hi,

Cool - cheers! Can't be bothered with taking it apart (I heard they can literally explode when stripped down :lol: ) so for the sake of £17 I think I'd be more inclined to just bung a new one on there. 8)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It won't 'literally explode' - the caliper doesn't contain any explosive materials. The caliper 'seizing' is most likely a cable inner or outer issue - so check/replace those first, because if it is a cable issue, then replacing the caliper will make no difference.
  • It's got a new set of Jagwires on it. 8)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Even new inners/outers will still bind if the bend angles are too tight. Simplest thing would be to remove the caliper from the bike and test it. If it moves freely on its own, then the problem lies elsewhere...
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yes, is the answer to your question.

And it's a good idea, I've stripped a few down after a bad winter when they got sticky - but once they get to that level they are hard to get back to perfect order. At that price the new one will feel much better and now you know to look after it to stop it happening again.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You can make a brake caliper work as new by taking it apart and lube and adjust.
  • Last daft question from me for now on calipers folks. Upon inspection this morning the recessed allen bolt thingy which fixes the caliper to the frame is in poor condition and seems to be reluctant to undo. When buying brand new calipers, does the box contain one of those allen headed bolts/nuts? The part I've arrowed in the pic below. I am aware they come in different sizes but it would be handy to know if a new one is supplied with the caliper in the box. Ta.

hQQhhaR.jpg
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yes, it's included.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • k-dog wrote:
    Yes, it's included.

Good stuff, ta. 8)