Gear skip, what might be the reason ?

polyx
polyx Posts: 112
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi there,

Quick question,

I experience a gear slip every now and again under load, (pedaling with hand and checking seems normal)
I remember this started after I had to pedal backwards 2 cycles after changing a gear from lever, but not actually switching the cog. I don't usually do this sort of dumb move, conditions forced me to do so that day.
Chain has ben changed since, so I'd imagine it's now due to either rear mech or hub, but can't test as dont' have a spare rear wheel or mech.

Any input appreciated.
Many thanks!

Comments

• Stiff link
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Freehub pawls stuck. What kind of hub is it?
  • polyx
    Keezx wrote:
    Freehub pawls stuck. What kind of hub is it?
    Not sure about hub type, wheel is shimano rs30
  • polyx
    Stiff link
    I'll check all links then. thanks.
  • If it only happens under load, I would be more inclined to check the freehub. Mine does this when it's a bit mucky (shimano also). Just clean it out & cover it in motor oil for 24 hours, it drains the muck/grit out and lubes at the same time.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • If you've put a new chain on and the gear skip occurred after that, then it could be that your cassette is worn. A worn cassette and a worn chain can work together OK, but the pitch on the new ("unstretched") chain may be shorter than the cassette has got used to.
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • philkeeble wrote:
    If you've put a new chain on and the gear skip occurred after that, then it could be that your cassette is worn. A worn cassette and a worn chain can work together OK, but the pitch on the new ("unstretched") chain may be shorter than the cassette has got used to.

I had that issue. I changed my cassette but not the chain then changed the chain a month later. The intervening time was enough to wear the casette and it was jumping all the time. Had to replace them both.