Replacing Brake Calipers

Stormtrooper Rog
Stormtrooper Rog Posts: 18
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
Hi, I am new and fresh to cycling but it is fast becoming an obsession. I bought a Boardman Comp 2014 road bike, which I love, however, on some steep and quick descents, I am less than confident on the brakes, research suggests upgrade, nothing short of Shimano 105, can anyone tell me if they will fit the boardman comp? It has Tektro R315 at the moment, and they look quite long, but I can't find any specs online to see if they will fit.
'In want to ride my bicycle,
I want to ride my bike.
I want to ride my bicycle,
I want to ride it where I like.'

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    edited December 2014
    Get some new pads. Koolstop and Swissstop are popular choices. The surfaces involved are much more important than the calipers (and Tektros are perfectly good), which means keeping them clean as well. I'd also suggest that if you're new to cycling then confidence on descents takes time, and if you've been using any MTB disc brakes, you also just need to get used to the fact that road rim brakes just aren't as powerful, but they are good enough.
  • Yes, I had looked at the Swissstop GHP II brake pads, which will be a definite purchase regardless of new callipers.
    I want to ride my bike.
  • Those will make a big difference, particularly in the wet. But measure your brake drop; the existing calipers go down to 57mm, so if you have some travel it's possible you might be ok with standard calipers, but you may not. For deep drops Tektro r737s are good, and there are a few Shimano options.
  • Thanks for the advice.
    I want to ride my bike.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Do a bit of searching. We do this subject at great length every few weeks.

The best advice is to save your money and buy new pads.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    lesfirth wrote:
    Do a bit of searching. We do this subject at great length every few weeks.

The best advice is to save your money and buy new pads.

Depends what calipers you have on there to start with.
    Mine had some unbranded ones on - replacing the pads helped, but nothing compared to swapping out with some 105 calipers ..
  • After totalling my bike 2 weeks ago, I'm currently having to put up with my 'if all else fails' backup '80s gas pipe bike, which has Weinmanns and steel rims. There is nothing wrong with your modern brakes. Moreover, I swapped in modern pads this morning, and dare I say it, they're now borderline decent...
  • From this......
    Those brakes are simple Tektros and they have stock pads, which have been on there some time now. I can go as fast as I like with complete confidence that I can also stop. Unless you are in the alps or have silly carbon wheels, you don't need expensive brake pads, and if your brakes don't work you are probably not maintaining or using them properly

To this........
    Get some new pads. Koolstop and Swissstop are popular choices. The surfaces involved are much more important than the calipers

What next Simon?
    "Silly" carbon wheels perhaps?
    :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • I had tektros calipers in my Defy 3 and changed them for 105 and the difference is big. I'm now way more confident in my bike. Now, I don't now if the improvement comes from the calipers themselves or the pads that came with them, but the difference is there.
    In terms of "saving your money", consider this: a pair of swissstop will cost around L16 (http://goo.gl/rHcrD2). On the other side, the 105 calipers, which includes new cartridge pads, are about L24.50 (http://goo.gl/hOo5r0), or even cheaper if you shop around online, so the difference is not that high in my opinion...
    Regarding compatibility, just send the manufacturer an email or a post on facebook and they should be able to tell you if they are compatible or not, but I guess they are.
  • From this......
    Those brakes are simple Tektros and they have stock pads, which have been on there some time now. I can go as fast as I like with complete confidence that I can also stop. Unless you are in the alps or have silly carbon wheels, you don't need expensive brake pads, and if your brakes don't work you are probably not maintaining or using them properly

You need a hobby, but happy to hold to that, as I have generally found that standard/Clarks/OEM pads, including Tektro, are perfectly competent at stopping a bike. Unless you've used Weinmanns with Weinmann two tone pads on steel rims, you have no idea what bad wet braking is. What tends to be left out of these discussions is the skill element of braking effectively.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    ...Weinmanns with Weinmann two tone pads on steel rims, you have no idea what bad wet braking is.

Ah, memories, Weinmann 730 side pulls on wet steel rims...about as effective as shouting "Stop!" at the bike :lol:

Seriously, when people moan about caliper brakes being poor in the wet, they should go and have a try at the really bad old days equipment. It makes me shudder just thinking about it...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • From this......

You need a hobby, but happy to hold to that, as I have generally found that standard/Clarks/OEM pads, including Tektro, are perfectly competent at stopping a bike. Unless you've used Weinmanns with Weinmann two tone pads on steel rims, you have no idea what bad wet braking is. What tends to be left out of these discussions is the skill element of braking effectively.

But this seems to be at odds with this....?
    Get some new pads. Koolstop and Swissstop are popular choices.The surfaces involved are much more important than the calipers

Which seems like sound advice :wink:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My experience on two bikes is going from cheap Tektro's to 105's and r650's was a huge improvement in control and braking force. I weight around 100kg so need all the braking I can get ;)
  • From this......

But this seems to be at odds with this....?

Not really, it's a matter of 'good' versus merely 'adequate', and what will improve your braking the most.
  • I have checked out 'braking technique' online, and don't think I am doing much wrong, so practice and practice more. I weigh just over 100kgs at 5' 11", but am fairly lean so dropping weight is difficult, I am hitting over 40mph on some decents, but feel I could go faster if I had more confidence in the brakes, it maybe more psychological. Green Swissstops are a definite. Used 105's on ebay are about £20, Christmas is coming so I have that covered. Apparently the arms measure the same distance at about 45mm, so I am guessing I can swap the Tektro's out for the 105's.
    I want to ride my bike.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    unless your bike has long drop brakes in the description of its spec 105's are normally fine. The only tip I would give is the brake cable end will not normally fit into 105's cleanly. If you unscrew the cable adjuster from the Tektro brakes and use that instead it will fit fine. This will make more sense when you change the brakes over ;)
  • Not really, it's a matter of 'good' versus merely 'adequate', and what will improve your braking the most.

Considering your track record with crashing due to poor brakes I suggest that you aim for 'excellent' versus merely 'good' rather than 'good' versus merely 'adequate' :wink:

I've done far too much cycling using decrepit old brakes that moreorless did not work at all, and steel rims (not on the same bike) - ending up in several hedges, nearly crashing into a few vehicles and very nearly ending up under a speeding lorry.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Have a look at the blue SwissStop as well.
    Prefer them to the green....my opinion :)
  • Just to add my 2 cents. I recently went:

Tektro calipers and pads - shockingly poor.
    Tektro calipers and Aztec road system pads - much better, especially in the wet.
    Shimano R650 calipers with the Aztec pads - different league all together.

The Aztecs are wearing quickly, I've got some Swiss stop green pads in the wings which are alleged to be epic :-).
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Kajjal wrote:
    unless your bike has long drop brakes in the description of its spec 105's are normally fine. The only tip I would give is the brake cable end will not normally fit into 105's cleanly. If you unscrew the cable adjuster from the Tektro brakes and use that instead it will fit fine. This will make more sense when you change the brakes over ;)
    That's because the 105 calipers have a small 'ferrule' already sat in the cable adjuster 'wells'. This can easily be popped out and your standard cable ferrules will then fit into the adjusters.
  • Went from tektro to 105 on a team Boardman , well worth it as far as I am concerned.