Contour Roam2 camera

dai_t75
dai_t75 Posts: 189
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Tried searching the forum but couldn't see any mention of this cam.

Looking for a decent cam, but trying not to spend over £150. This seems like it ticks most of the boxes for me:
- Within budget
- Like the shape compared to the GoPros
- Battery time apparently up to 2.5 hours (hoping for something within the 2-2.5 hours range)
- Waterproof out of the box (to 1 metre - hopefully more than enough to deal with any rain I will be cycling in)
- Generally has got decent reviews

The main negative point seems to be that you cannot change the video mode while out and about, but this doesn't personally bother me.

So, anyone got any experience with this camera? Would you recommend it?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A better option is the Garmin Virb/Virb Elite. If you look carefully you might find elites for under £150 on Amazon if your quick, otherwise the basic model can be had for the same in some places. I've gone from a Roam2 to a Virb and the night time picture quality is much better on the Virb. Both are bullet shaped opposed to the boxy Go-Pro which is why I went that way.
    Plenty of mounts for Virbs are coming onto the market and there is what Garmin call an industry standard mount which is an adapter for Go-Pro mounts.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dai_t75
    Thanks for the info - I will have a look into it. Did you go to the regular virb or elite model? How is the battery on it?
  • redvee
    I've got one of each, Elite on my helmet and the basic on the saddle rails. Battery life can be as long as 9 hours when I forgot to turn the cameras off when I get to work but in use battery life is around 2.5 hours but spare batteries can be bought and swapped in under a minute, unlike the Roam which has an internal battery.
  • DC Rainmaker has an excellent review of the Virb also remember the Virb can link up to your Garmin Edge etc if you have one. I was all set to the basic Go Pro but think I'll wait and get the Virb now.
  • dai_t75
    Think you have sold me on the virb! The DC Rainmaker article is very good also.

Now need to choose between the regular and elite :P

I have only got an edge 200 - would I be able to combine the data from this with the video later in the software? Or would I need a 500/800/1000 to do that?

Thanks for the help as always!
  • redvee
    If the Edge 200 records the activity as a GPX file then yes, I've found the GpX file from the camera to be less accurate than that of my Edge 800 so use that if I need to. Download Virb Edit for the above, there is other software around but the Virb Edit is a freebie.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think the Gadget show reviewed the garmin camera against the go pro. The go pro pictures were better - dunno if that matters to you as much ?
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    dependent on what you want the camera for these are some very good value for money HD cameras about £50 to £70 SJ4000 Review or MOBIUS Review this guy does a good review of the cameras
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike