Pull shock problems

Soulmonkey
Soulmonkey Posts: 25
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

I'm having a recurring issue with my Scott Genius 2009 shock. Tried all sorts (everyone says that don't they, haha) and cannot get it sorted.
The shock is gradually pulling over to one side on the bushings, eventually resting on the linkage plate and abrading both the surface of the plate and the eye of the shock. I had the bike for three years without any such issues.
It began after sending the shock to TF Tuned for service. It came back with the spherical bearing not central in the shock eye. After calling TF, they advised just knocking it through into place using a socket, which I duly did. I remounted the shock with new bushings, and within one 20 mile ride, it had completely moved back to one side.
I called TF and they sent me a new spherical bearing and bushings, but they also said that it was unlikely to be the cause - the only way the shock would pull over to one side would be if the frame alignment was out. That made sense to me, so I assumed they were probably right.
I tried the new bearing and bushings, and wasn't all that surprised to find the same problem recurr.
I then took the bike to my local Scott dealer, who went voer everything and put the frame in the alignment jig. They advised that it was well within the tolerances specified by Scott, and in fact was a very good example!
Bearing in mind, it is carbon, so I can't imagine how it would bend out of shape anyway, surely it would just break?
They put it all back together, and for a couple of hundred miles, the shock was okay. It's now back over to one side though, and I'm at a loss as to what to do!
Any ideas?
"Don't worry about what the world needs. Find what makes you come alive, then go do that. Because the world needs people who have come alive."
Howard Thurman

Scott Genius
Titus FCR
Genesis Equilibrium
Carrera Chrono

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    got any pics?

as there should be no way for it to move if the top hats are fitted as most "rose" joints use for location.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'll get some pics on when I get home, thanks.
    Yeah the tops hats aren't moving at all, it's the rose joint itself moving through the eye of the shock.
    "Don't worry about what the world needs. Find what makes you come alive, then go do that. Because the world needs people who have come alive."
    Howard Thurman

Scott Genius
    Titus FCR
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Carrera Chrono
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the shock eye is damaged and not holding the spherical bearing in place, have you tried a bearing lock (Loctite)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No I haven't, could be a good idea.
    What TF said does make sense though - in theory even if the bearing was totally loose, it should stay more or less straight unless the frame alignment is pulling it out??
    Howard Thurman

Scott Genius
    Titus FCR
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Carrera Chrono
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are the frame bearings/bushes all in good condition?
  • Yeah, just had a full new bearing kit in the same time the shock was serviced.

For some reason, I can't get the pics to upload. Really annoying. I'm out of time for today so will have to give up and try and post tomorrow if poss.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.
    Howard Thurman

Scott Genius
    Titus FCR
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Carrera Chrono