New Full Susser - Choice of 3 - Links Included

Sludgerider
Sludgerider Posts: 8
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Everybody,

I've been riding a hard tail for years (An '04 GT Avalanche Disc 1.0) and have reached the point where I can't really upgrade anything else. Its a great bike for my local riding, but is beginning to feel a little bit limited on trails. I mainly ride XC/Trail, and a enjoy a good bit of downhill.

I've a fairly limited budget for a FS bike, but have found 3 seemingly good options:

Please let me know your thoughts, or if you have any wild cards that you would suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Trek Fuel EX6
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/fuel-ex6-2014-mountain-bike-ec042087
This seems a great all rounder, and a good base for me to upgrade over the years. Only thing that puts me off is the Avid Hydros (I'am a bit of a Shimano whore!) These are easy enough for me to swap out though.

Canyon Nerve AL6.0
http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3573
This is about the top of my budget. Slightly less travel, but component mix seems a bit better. The one thing that stands out is that its on 9mm QRs, and not 15mm

Giant Anthem X2
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s1p4945/GIANT-ANTHEM-X-2-2013
Bit of an older bike with less travel again. Pretty pocket friendly

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the usage you describe, the Anthem, the maestro rear suspension is great, it's an awesome spec and it's also cheaper than the other two.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would also suggest the Anthem for the reasons above. I have owned one and ridden the other two, for me there is no contest.
    The Treks rear suspension just isn't as efficient and the Canyon flexes more than I would like.
  • Craig24
    Craig24 Posts: 150
    Anthem is a great price! I fancy one myself, don't love that particular colour scheme though
  • Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I'am still leaning towards the Trek after a bit of a test ride today. The Giant is good, but I cant help but think I'll outgrow the 100mm travel (and that paint scheme.....) My current bike is 100mm and I'll bottom out occasionally when really pushing hard. I also do a fair amount of climbing on my local trails, the Anthem's RS Monarch doesn't seem to have a lockout.

I plan on upgrading the Avids to an SLX setup straight away, and later on upgrading to the Shadow + Clutch derailer. The only real concern with the bike is the BB, and chainset being an Octalink spline style. This hasn't really been an issue on my old bike as I don't think I'll upgrade it much further. Will it be an issue, or limit my choices if I choose to upgrade the drivetrain on the Trek in the future?

I may be wrong, but the Trek just looks like I'll get more longevity out of it. I can't imagine the Anthem taking much more than 120mm without some serious issues.
  • The Rookie
    Decent rear suspension doesn't need a lockout, and if its locked out you lose the traction benefit of FS anyway!

the Anthem will take a 120mm fork, but no more.

Wasn't impressed with the Trek Ex I demo'd, felt very 'mushy'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I thought the same about the Trek.
    Bottoming out is nothing to do with the amount of travel, it's caused by poor damping or poor set up.
    The Anthem is very capable for a 100mm bike and it also works very nicely with a 120mm fork.
    I managed mid place results in enduro races on mine and rode it over some good sized jumps and drops, you need to get the landings right but its very capable.
    It's definitely more trail bike than xc race bike.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Anthem gets my vote as well.
    I bought my son one last summer and it is a great bike. He is 14 so doesn't hold back and the bike handles everything he throws it at.
    The lack of lockout on the shock doesn't cause any problems either. The Maestro suspension is a very good design and works extremely well under all conditions.
    As for the colour: who cares? It's the frame under the paint that is important.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Bit of a thread revival here.

Appreciate peoples views on the Anthem. It just didn't do it for me after taking a look at one in the LBS.

So after almost biting the bullet, and buying the Trek, I took one last look on Paul Cycles, and found the GT Sensor 1.0 at a good price.

I've always loved GTs, and had many a good year out of my Avalanche 1.0 Disc, so I went for it. Great spec for the money.

Just waiting on the pedals to arrive before taking it out on its maiden blast around the local trails.
  • rockmonkeysc
    GT full sus bikes are nasty. The Sensor is one of the worst full sus trail bikes I have ridden.
    Did you ride an Anthem or just look at it in the shop?
  • The Rookie
    Heavy and with XC style geometry, the review on here isn't good, I think you've made a poor choice I'm afraid, the Sensor does have a certain tarty good looks, but like with a women, the tarty looks will be outlived by the classy elegance that is the Anthem, like comparing Amy Child's to Liz Hurley.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    GT full sus bikes are nasty. The Sensor is one of the worst full sus trail bikes I have ridden.
    Did you ride an Anthem or just look at it in the shop?

It might be a poor choice but riding a bike around a car park/outside a shop will tell you nothing unless that car park happens to have lots of trail features to test on, the shop test will only tell him it feels like it fits-ish.

So buying a bike by looking at it isn't much different.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It would show up the weird pedalling characteristics of the GT sensor. Feels like the chain is made of elastic.