Racing on a Specialized Hotrock - any recommended upgrade?

SpiderJ
SpiderJ Posts: 14
edited December 2014 in Family & kids cycling forum
My 9 year old is doing his first duathlon in 2 weeks at the Lea Valley/Olympic VeloPark (after I slogged my way through one last week in the pouring rain/freezing cold). He has a 20" Specialized HotRock, and although he is dying to get a 'proper' road bike, we aren't quite ready to shell out for one yet.

However, I am happy to look at any upgrades that might help try and make his bike slightly less 'heavy mountain bike' and a bit more 'fast(ish) road bike'.

I'm thinking that the easiest thing to do would be swap out the knobbly tires for something like Shwalbe Durano?

Is there anything else that's worth the effort/time/money?

thanks

S

Comments

• My son's Hotrock had steel bars, I swapped them for aluminium ones 2nd hand from ebay. Lighter seatpost I had lying around. Tyres is a good one. Could you get hold of a rigid fork?
  • macbikes wrote:
    My son's Hotrock had steel bars, I swapped them for aluminium ones 2nd hand from ebay. Lighter seatpost I had lying around. Tyres is a good one. Could you get hold of a rigid fork?

Thanks - that's great.

Is there a specific size of seatpost/handlebars I should be looking for?
  • I can't remember off the top of my head - the specialized website has an archive section which might have the info :)
  • I think tyres would be the simplest, cheapest, most effective choice. Any thing else then its cost £s for negligible weight savings.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, see how he gets on with his event.