Missus wants nice wheels

2»

Comments

• jlowdo
    jlowdo Posts: 48
    good call on the innuendo... totally unintentional, it's just that i thought i'd give her a good ride to test them out ;)

Re her bike, she just got rid of her Cube Peloton Pro which, whilst ( in my opinion ) a good bike, it wasn't right for her and she does suffer with her back ( .. no comments ... ).. So, we looked at the Roubaix and the Ruby ( yes, expensive for what it is, i know, but we have a very accommodating LBS, with good prices and willing to be flexible on the R2work scheme ). Decided on the Roubaix as she took it out, albeit for only a brief ride, but was really happy with the fit.

i did not know she ordered the speedplays until i saw the invoice in our email, so yes, she is keen ( but she did not enjoy the cube, so i think that is a contributing factor ). But, it is pretty easy to spend 20 minutes on a turbo at home to decide what pedals you like, buying wheels is a bit more of a lottery unfortunately.

And regarding her kit and whether she comes out with us, is not to do with anything other than if she 'wants' to come out. and i think ( this being the 2nd attempt ), i know she does, she just needs to be comfortable.. and i think we got the right bike this time..

I guess the point is, she wants some 'sexy' wheels, and she likes a deep rim ( see, i am getting the hang of this ), so thats really the point, to give her what she wants to motivate her to improve her health/have more quality time with me.

So
    Mavic Cosmic - deep but look good - might get blown into the side of a threshing machine ( we live in the country )
    Planet X - Cheap - look good - but questionable quality
    Fulcrum Quattro - very cheap - not as deep ( probably not an issue )
    Zipp - no
    Amp - wrong colour decals ( a petty point, but.. )

or any others?

( Re the Ruby/Roubaix.. she has quite an athletic build ( broad shoulders and 5'10, she used to run 200m junior for her country. the fit just seemed better on the Roubaix )

Cheers
    J
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fair enough. My wife does not have a female specific bike and she is petite.

If the Quattros go with the bike (is it a black one?) then I would get those for now. If she likes deep section wheels then they will be good as winter ones and you can spend more time finding summer/best/deeper ones.

Personally I would not go beyond 50mm anyway.
  • jlowdo
    Its the neon yellow roubaix SL4.... already got some 6700 callipers to replace the Axis 1.0 that come with it... apart from the FSA gossamer crank, i think the wheels are the only weak point.

I think ( and this is so shallow ) that it was the yellow detailing on the Mavic that made it look like a 'louis Vuitton' handbag match.

Are the quattros really any good, they come far down the Fulcrum food chain in pricing? i have CeroAR30's on my Cube agree at the moment and IMHO they are fantastic, but i guess we are not looking at the same price range ( and they are 30mm, but thats irrelevant )....
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:
    Probably because the Roubaix is a man's bike - and men ride proper bikes....or something...

The Amira/Tarmac would be a better use of the term 'proper bike' though wouldn't it?
  • jlowdo
    and yes, 50mm is probably pushing it... i have a pair of 41mm Reynolds Assault SLG on my new build and i think thats plenty big... if only i could find a nicely priced set of 40mm carbon wheels, which seem to be a bit like Hen's teeth... otherwise quattro's could be the way forward ( and i can get her some nice castelli gear too with the extra money )... need to order soon though. LBS says it will be in by saturday!

We tried the Tarmac/Amira... she didn't like them. horses for courses. The Venge wasn't much good for her back either ;)
  • Anonymous
    jlowdo wrote:
    Its the neon yellow roubaix SL4.... already got some 6700 callipers to replace the Axis 1.0 that come with it... apart from the FSA gossamer crank, i think the wheels are the only weak point.

I think ( and this is so shallow ) that it was the yellow detailing on the Mavic that made it look like a 'louis Vuitton' handbag match.

Are the quattros really any good, they come far down the Fulcrum food chain in pricing? i have CeroAR30's on my Cube agree at the moment and IMHO they are fantastic, but i guess we are not looking at the same price range ( and they are 30mm, but thats irrelevant )....

Not sure that the anodised red nippled Quattro's will go with a neon yellow bike.
    Then again, surely Mavic yellow will clash badly as well?

You might have to get Gok Wan involved.
  • jlowdo
    the bike is a lot more 'yellow' than it looks in pictures... but then, i am partially colourblind.

i missed the red detail on the Fulcrum's. is there some mandate that states that every bike has black/red/white on it these days??? must look into that in more detail..

i guess its Enve 6.7 then.. no colour clashes there ;)
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Deep black ring your thing? Just be aware that at the moment they will get really mud-splattered. (ffnnarr)

Serious suggestion in the link:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXC45T/p ... 6986186e5f
    Hard to overlook PX but keep in mind that those are tubs :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Anonymous
    Amp do 3 colour ways. Sure one didn't match? I have stealth grey and looks nice. It's also dead easy to remove stickers (they're just simple stickers not fancy transfers under the carbon)

PX are plain black (no stickers) and the one with the alu braking track are clinchers
  • jlowdo
    Have been looking a bit more at the Amps, initially was put off because i thought they only came with those horrible red/yellow decals, although can't find any re-sellers with a decent price? Similarly, was looking at the Saturae 50mm clinchers, but not much info apart from the odd review available.

Planet X, just can't get over the amount of complaints about having to return because of faults etc. bit worrying, but very cheap ( especially if 20% still available ).

And coming back to the same thing, with the R2W scheme and our LBS we can pick up the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS for net cost of about £400 ( after all, wheels are just a 'bike' with a bit missing in the middle, and our company allows multiple vouchers ) and you get tyres ( not sure if any good ), bag and a free house cleaner with them...

And then there are the Quattro's... very cheap

And, ultimately, biggest concern about mid.deep section ( 50mm ) is the effects of crosswinds, but I figure i can just keep the stock DT Axis wheels and we can swap them out when required. After all, if i sell them on eBay, after charges and paypal and packaging/sending, i'd probably come away with about 50p profit..
  • Probikekit currently have the Reynolds Assault SLG for £899 if you fancy matching his and hers wheels
  • Anonymous
    Carbones at £400 are a bargain. Have you tried Superstar Components? They do cheap carbon wheels. There was also a rumour that they are Reynolds Carbon rims. Amp only sell direct, although they did once come up on SportsPursuit (where I got mine).
  • coriordan wrote:
    There was also a rumour that they are Reynolds Carbon rims.

Some time ago we did look into that... I seem to recall the conclusion was the subtle use of the word "designed" as opposed to "manufactured" which gave away the fact they were based on a Reynolds design but they were not manufactured by Reynolds or something like that... to be honest I can't remember... :oops:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    jlowdo wrote:

And coming back to the same thing, with the R2W scheme and our LBS we can pick up the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS for net cost of about £400 ( after all, wheels are just a 'bike' with a bit missing in the middle, and our company allows multiple vouchers ) and you get tyres ( not sure if any good ), bag and a free house cleaner with them...

You have struck gold working for a company and having a LBS who are both happy to defraud the Inland Revenue with you :wink:

Do you and your wife work for the same company then? Or are you using your vouchers to buy her a bike?

Ooops' Hope GCHQ are too busy with muslim extremists to pick up on all these keywords :oops:
  • jlowdo
    The Reynolds, whilst a good idea, are above what we are willing/able to spend.. will look at the Superstar components though thanks.

we work for different companies, and we have no intention of defrauding anyone ( she'll have a bike, which she 'could' ride to work )... the only thing i can see that is contentious is that the imposed limit on the voucher value means we have to use more than 1.. although company policy states you can take out up to 4 vouchers every year.. so, i prefer to look at it as a 'grey' area, and each voucher is being used independently. it is being used for its intended purpose.

Are LBS not within their rights to offer discounted prices to customers? regardless of means of payment?

But thanks for the use of hotwords, very much appreciated ;)
  • Anonymous
    Whose company gives multiple vouchers? Yours, or your wives?
  • jlowdo
    going WAAAY off topic now... thanks for all the advice, have a few days to mull it over. Whatever way we go, i am sure she will be happy.

thanks again
  • Anonymous
    Mull what over? The wheels, or whether or not you want to continue defrauding?
  • jlowdo
    sorry for causing any offence.

Rgds
  • Anonymous
    Ignore him
This discussion has been closed.