novice needing advice

douggie
douggie Posts: 4
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all
I am 6 ft 2. And 23 stone. I haven't ridden anything without an engine for 20 something years. In an effort to improve my health I am looking to start cycling.
After a lot of web surfing I think I have come to the conclusion a touring bike would be my best bet. Due to them having stronger wheels. My budget is £450 so am only able to get an entry level bike, and have short listed the following. 1. Dawes galaxy al 2014. 2. Ridgeback tour 20143. Raleigh royal 2015.
I am after any advice on which of the three would be the better bike, and whether they would be up to carrying my bulk, or should I just go for a mountain bike until I have lost some weight.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    My only advice would be to get the bike via a reputable local bike shop who will help you with fitting etc.
    Otherwise if you go and get it online you'll be opening a never ending can of worms of problems for yourself.
    It might not be the best 'deal' out there but get it right then cycling is one hobby that doesnt cast you aside.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I agree that you should go to a reputable local bike shop for help, advice and after-sales help.

At 23 stone, you will put strain on wheels. All three bikes you are considering have 36-spoke wheels, which helps, although as they are budget bikes, the quality of the factory wheel building will not be up to the standards of proper handbuilt wheels. A good bike shop will check and true the wheels for you. This will reduce the risk of spokes breaking.

The Dawes, Ridgeback and Raleigh are all similar steel-framed budget touring bikes and will be suitable for everything from day rides and commuting to touring with luggage. They are all well equipped with mudguards, carriers and strong tyres. It would appear the Dawes has a higher retail price. Its gearing spec is higher - Sora/Alivio as opposed to 2300 or similar for the other two. All are listed at well over £450 but there do appear to be deals around.

Good luck. Cycling is a fantastic way to boost your health and fitness. At first, it will seem like hard work. It was for me when I took up adult cycling in 1986 to improve my health and fitness. Within a couple of weeks I was hooked. It was one of the best decisions I ever took in my life.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    And don't be surprised if the saddle doesn't fit! - the 'stock' saddles are seldom the best choice.
    Biggest reason people give-up on bike riding is because the saddle hurts!
    My suggestion would be a large and sturdy saddle such as the Brooks B-72 (expensive), or another brand is similar dimensions.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    My suggestion would be: get anything except a Brooks B72 or another one with similar dimensions.
    Much too wide and not supporting where it should, saddlepain guaranteed.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Mountain bikes tend to be stronger , smoother to ride, lower geared and if you fit slick rather than knobbly tyres not too slow either. Once you get fitter and lighter you can look at moving to a road bike which is noticeably faster on road for most people.

From memory most proper mountain bikes are rated at 300lbs weight until you get well up the price range. For road riding they should stand up to even more weight as the riding is smoother than off-road trail riding.
  • I was a couple of stone lighter when I started and started on a MTB. I went for an MTB as it had stronger wheels with a higher spoke count. Slap some slick tyres on it and you are good to go. Give it a year and move to a road bike.

I was in a very similar situation and I have knocked out over 3000 miles in the last 20 months. Start slow and work up to it. It get's easier and more enjoyable pretty quick but deffo the hardest when you first start.
    Specialized Roubiax elite
    Pinarello Uno
    Shwin MTB

http://www.strava.com/athletes/hughes_terry
  • and don't worry about speed - you're still quicker than you were on the couch

Good luck.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • i first started cycling around the 22 stone mark. i was also worried about a road bike with my bulk. i ended up getting a trek which only had 20/24 spoke count and i was ok although i did break a few over a year or so. i think you will be fine on a tourer. if you get on it often enough the weight will fly off you and then you will regret getting a MTB. as others have said if you have a lbs and can build a relationship with them then thats great as they should help you.
    dont worry about shelling out on loads of extra bits right away. try the bike you have first before you try and upgrade and change things like saddle/pedals etc.
    good luck.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014