Cassette lockrings

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Quick question, any difference between 8 and 9 speed lockrings? Comparing Shiamno with Shimano and they look the same and appear to fit and work OK, but I have a nice quality 8 speed I'll fit instead of a lower quality and less pretty 9.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    AFAIK they are the same. Same freehub.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    There are some differences. But if you hold them back to back and they are the same you are good to go.

The lock rings that come on cassettes with a 12t small cog can be bigger which when used on a 11t small cog can cause the chain to not sit in the cog bug ride up on the lockring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks, both for 11T so I'll give it a try!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll be fine. Aside from the 11/12t difference as Nick says, nothing special about 8/9/10/11 speed. Worth saving the alu ones if you ever have an XTR/Dura Ace cassette, they weigh a lot less than the steel ones on cheaper blocks.