Crank thread stripped

2»

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Pedals or BBs aren't supposed to tighten -they're just supposed to not loosen.

And in this case is agree that the pedal wasn't tight enough so that it could wiggle a tiny bit and the it ruined the thread.

I also agree that nipping up is enough - but IMO that takes a proper pedal wrench.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    +1 proper tools for the job. Also to the guy that ruined a square taper BB cup due to the tool slipping. All shop wrenches have a M8x1mm bolt to secure the tool by screwing it into the BB axle thus holding the tool in place. If you do not have the tools for the job take the job to a shop it is cheaper or spend £12 on a Park Tool CWP-5 pedal wrench. Simple really.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    nipping them up is around 35Nm. Once the pedal is inserted and it comes in contact with the crank thread nipping up is all that is needed to get to the required torque. Effort is not needed. Ever tried puting a BB in 40Nm is not alot and once the flange of the cup make contact with the frame alittle more of a turn at you at the required torque.

"nipping them up is around 35NM"!

OK Everyone on my side, altogether "OH NO IT ISNT"

That is a force of 50lbs on the end of a 6 inch allen key. If that does not take any effort you must be built like a gorilla. I wont challenge you at arm wrestling.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    That is a force of 50lbs on the end of a 6 inch allen key. If that does not take any effort you must be built like a gorilla. I wont challenge you at arm wrestling.

Agreed, 35Nm/40Nm requires a decent amount of pull with a standard length spanner or Allen key.