Raceface next sl cranks

@lexD
@lexD Posts: 340
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking at getting a set of these but apparently they need a 30mm bottom bracket which raceface do but I am not a fan and you need a specific tool to install. Hope offer a 30mm model does anybody know if the 2 are compatable?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What fitting is the frame? PF30 of BB30?

Get the correct BB to suit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • You need a BSA30 tool to install it. I have a Zipp one, Hope cranks will be 30mm based so expect a hope tool soon. I bloody love my RF chain sets. Best you can get IMHO.
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    nicklouse wrote:
    What fitting is the frame? PF30 of BB30?

Get the correct BB to suit.

Bsa 68/73
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which one? 68 or 73?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've got some RF Turbine cinch cranks - I loathe BB30 due to the poor execution. However, BSA30 uses a conventional external bearing cup (think oversize HT2) and so you shouldn''t experience creaking. RF install tool isn't available anywhere at the moment - been waiting 5 weeks - fortunately build isn't due to complete until January
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Hope do do a BSA30 bottom bracket, it's becoming more popular now, not convinced myself, bigger ID and same OD means smaller bearings...
  • I've been running next SL for about a month.

I spent ages trying to decide between this and the new xtr m9020.
    Really glad I went for the Nexts.
    Lovely construction, I ditched the standard film covers and went for some Invisiframe crank arm protection. A lot better I must say.

I too researched them to death.
    Also contacted Hope and Raceface.
    Hope BB does fit but may need extra spacer, in the end I bite the bullet and went with a Raceface BB. Just to ease installation.
    Not has any issues so far and fitted perfectly.

I managed to get spanner in 2 days from Hbike in Germany. Also Rotor had scanners in stock in UK.
    Specialized Stumpjumper
    Bird Zero (current build)