Completed first ever century!

rhysyd
rhysyd Posts: 141
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
Bought my first road bike in Aug, comepleted my first 103miler in Nov! :lol::lol:

103.4mile
8,547ft Elv
14.1mph Ave Speed

Not the fastest but can't complain!

Comments

• rhysyd wrote:
    Bought my first road bike in Aug, comepleted my first 103miler in Nov! :lol::lol:

103.4mile
    8,547ft Elv
    14.1mph Ave Speed

Well done.
    Not sure where you are in the World, but if that is in the UK it's worth 150 summer miles.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Splendid work, keep it up.
  • rhysyd
    rhysyd wrote:

103.4mile
    8,547ft Elv
    14.1mph Ave Speed

Well done.
    Not sure where you are in the World, but if that is in the UK it's worth 150 summer miles.

Cheers mate it was up through Ruthin/Colcaenog/LlynBrenig in North Wales area. I had a big bowl of fruit and fibre for breakfast took 2 gels, a flapjack and a slice of soreen fruit loaf but yet I'm contasntly hungry on the bike I've even tried eating somethinf every half an hour. I had to stop at a cafe halfway and fill me self up with coke and flapjacks as I felt I was gonna bonk I was that hungry! And that's after I eat all that about 3hours into the ride. Any suggestions?
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    We'll done. That's a fair old elevation gain for a first century, you certainly didn't take the easy option,
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Nice one, that's pretty quick progression. I've been riding for over a year and not done one yet (did 95 in the summer).

I doubt you need as much food as you think you do though. I think I had one big jam sandwich and a banana on my long ride although everyone's different.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    An I like to stop for a decent lunch on a ride that long! Each unto their own. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Great work. Keep it up. Its defo worth more miles when colder/wetter.
    As for food I take small flapjacks and eat one every 20 miles if I'm doing 100+ miles.
    I often have to fill up my bidons and will stop at a supermarket so I can walk my bike in and get water and a can of coke. Yum!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    rhysyd wrote:
    rhysyd wrote:

103.4mile
    8,547ft Elv
    14.1mph Ave Speed

Well done.

Cheers mate it was up through Ruthin/Colcaenog/LlynBrenig in North Wales area. I had a big bowl of fruit and fibre for breakfast took 2 gels, a flapjack and a slice of soreen fruit loaf but yet I'm contasntly hungry on the bike I've even tried eating somethinf every half an hour. I had to stop at a cafe halfway and fill me self up with coke and flapjacks as I felt I was gonna bonk I was that hungry! And that's after I eat all that about 3hours into the ride. Any suggestions?

I'm from Ruthin so I'll add my cap to the mix. Tough ride at this time of the year- nice one!!
  • rhysyd
    johngti wrote:
    rhysyd wrote:
    rhysyd wrote:

103.4mile
    8,547ft Elv
    14.1mph Ave Speed

Well done.

I'm from Ruthin so I'll add my cap to the mix. Tough ride at this time of the year- nice one!!

It was very very foggy poor visabiilty, was thinking of turning round but within an hour the sun popped out Weather
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Excellent stuff rhysyd.
  • Excellent, well done,, that's a tough ride
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • rhysyd wrote:
    rhysyd wrote:

103.4mile
    8,547ft Elv
    14.1mph Ave Speed

Well done.

I only started in April and found that I got less hungry as the months went by. I find "carb loading" by eating lots of pasta for 3 days prior helps. Not sure if it is between the ears but works for me... and jelly babies drip fed on the ride can't do any harm.
  • Impressive 1st century and dont worry about the speed. Thats not half bad with that amount of elevation !!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • I'm 51 and I'm still trying to get a 100er in the bag. I regular do 40-50's so it's a case of feeling good on the day, the right route and decent weather.

Anyway well done fella , like someone said very good progress on 4 months
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I'm 51 and this year built up to a 97 miler, 1500m climb (average 14.4) and a 103 miler, 1800m climb (average 15.9).

The 97 miler was Durness to Dingwall (i.e. not circular) with a headwind for 75% of the way.

The 103 miler was circular and the wind not significant.

It feels good to get that under your belt.

Well done.
  • rhysyd
    I'm 51 and I'm still trying to get a 100er in the bag. I regular do 40-50's so it's a case of feeling good on the day, the right route and decent weather.

Im 22 and i was fairly fit before i bought my first road bike. Just keep peddaling away from home til you reach 50 then you have no option but to complete a century :roll:
  • Ardderchog Rhys, dypin o bryniau yn yr ardal ble ti'n byw.
  • rhysyd wrote:
    I'm 51 and I'm still trying to get a 100er in the bag. I regular do 40-50's so it's a case of feeling good on the day, the right route and decent weather.

Im 22 and i was fairly fit before i bought my first road bike. Just keep peddaling away from home til you reach 50 then you have no option but to complete a century :roll:

North of 50 years - ride 50 miles away from home - get half way back - realise knees/ back/neck (insert appropriate body part) are exploding (insert appropriate descriptive term) - phone wife - ergo another 75 in the bag :D

Oh to be 22 and fairly fit again, enjoy it my friend :mrgreen:

PS well done OP as you may have realised 75 is my best yet but maybe this summer... if I get divorced :shock:
  • rhysyd wrote:

103.4mile
    8,547ft Elv
    14.1mph Ave Speed

Nice one mate! I do envy you. I have yet to do my first 100 miles.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    bflk wrote:
    (did 95 in the summer).

how did you not push on for 5 more miles! i don't think i could get that close to a century ride and not do it. :D

i did my first in september, 104 miles. i ate about 10 flapjacks, a banana and stopped 75 miles in for coffee, a cream scone and a cheese toastie and iwas still hungry when i got home.