Vector S vs Stages, decision time

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
I'd pretty much decided on Stages. Now I see that the Vector S is £562.92 from Canyon with a new bike. That's the cheapest I've seen I'm sure, and now cheaper than the Stages.

Stages: I can change an Ultegra crank easily.
Vector: I can change a pedal easily.

Both are left side only. I can live with this.
Both seem to be reliable.

Okay, I don't have Look cleats, but that can be sorted.
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• I would just pay the little extra and get a Power2Max, much better than left only measurement.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I keep waiting for prices to tumble on these as more competition hits the marketplace. I reckon 2015 could be the year. In the meantime I'll keep pretending I'm happily "old school"!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pedal seems a little more vulnerable to me, but then I've only whacked a pedal once whilst riding - I'd look at the calibration requirements for this.
    I have a 105 Stages - it is quick and easy to change over but I don't bother that often. The negative on this is the battery issue - I've not been affected but there are plenty of reports of those that are. Also, you have to consider if your cranks are all the same length - not an issue with the VectorS

VectorS would've meant new shoes and new set of pedals for me - so even though it wasn't available when I got the Stages I'm still happy with my choice and I accept the left leg only measurement.

P2Max is a nice PM too - I did consider it, but I run different sized chainsets on my bikes (TT standard, Road compact) so it would've been more of a pain to swap chainrings as well - or more likely I would've just put up with a compromise in chainrings
  • dhope
    JamesFree wrote:
    I would just pay the little extra and get a Power2Max, much better than left only measurement.
    I'm leaning toward Vector S on price to be honest.
    List price isn't massively different, but after cyclescheme shenanigans then the difference between Bike+Vector vs Bike+P2M could be £700.
    Slowbike wrote:
    Pedal seems a little more vulnerable to me, but then I've only whacked a pedal once whilst riding - I'd look at the calibration requirements for this.
    I have a 105 Stages - it is quick and easy to change over but I don't bother that often. The negative on this is the battery issue - I've not been affected but there are plenty of reports of those that are. Also, you have to consider if your cranks are all the same length - not an issue with the VectorS

VectorS would've meant new shoes and new set of pedals for me - so even though it wasn't available when I got the Stages I'm still happy with my choice and I accept the left leg only measurement.

P2Max is a nice PM too - I did consider it, but I run different sized chainsets on my bikes (TT standard, Road compact) so it would've been more of a pain to swap chainrings as well - or more likely I would've just put up with a compromise in chainrings
    It's to go onto a new bike after the old one was nicked, which will be the only geared bike in the fleet for the time being. Next one would likely be Ultegra 6800 again and same crank length. Hence Stages was sounding good. Already have road shoes and mtb shoes for geared/commute respectively. The Vectors come with Look pedals (duh) and cleats so that shouldn't be a problem.

It may end up with cost being the factor. The Vector S could end up being equiv of £200 which is almost a no brainer, and cheap enough that I could upgrade at a later date and not feel like I've lost out anywhere
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sounds like the Vector S is a better deal then :)
  • dhope
    Slowbike wrote:
    Sounds like the Vector S is a better deal then :)
    Indeed. I'd decided on Stages before, but it's suddenly dropped significantly on Canyon's website...

Probably one of those Friday threads which is essentially me saying I've decided one way, and unless someone tells me that left side only pedals have a habit of spontaneously bursting into flame and destroying the house then I'll probably go with it.
    Power2Max for the next bike maybe...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    BigMat wrote:
    I keep waiting for prices to tumble on these as more competition hits the marketplace. I reckon 2015 could be the year. In the meantime I'll keep pretending I'm happily "old school"!

This.

There are new products due 2015 including shoe based (luck) and cleat based (Zone).

Stages V Vector - I'd go Vector simply as it's easier to change pedals.
  • dhope
    BigMat wrote:

This.

There are new products due 2015 including shoe based (luck) and cleat based (Zone).

Vector ordered. Fag packet maths says they'll be £225. I'll take that. I needed pedals anyway :roll: :mrgreen:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    dhope wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

This.

Vector ordered. Fag packet maths says they'll be £225. I'll take that. I needed pedals anyway :roll: :mrgreen:

Enjoy.

Is your Canyon still due for delivery next week?
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

This.

Enjoy.

Is your Canyon still due for delivery next week?
    Yeah, checked with them when adding the pedals to the order. Expected to ship at some point next week. So likely early the following week before it arrives. Still, I almost believe it's going to happen now. And my Garmin 800 which died at the start of the week has woken back up, such is its anticipation.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I have Vector S - love it. However, make sure you tighten it to fully the 25 ft-lbs (approx 34 Nm) required, which is more than you'd naturally do it up without measurement. It's very sensitive to that initial torque-up.

I made the mistake of getting the units wrong and initially tightening to 25 Nm, and then wondering why I'd suddenly become so weak. After realising the mistake and giving it the extra, it's right again. (I have full-blown Vector on one bike, and Vector S on the other)

Plus when some significant other asks what you want for Christmas/ChineseNewYear/Birthday etc you can request the RightPedalUpgrade :)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html