Frameset suggestions

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Don't want this to be a typical what bike thread, I'm just looking for suggestions and inspiration to add to my list.

I'm getting married in 18 months time so money is tight and a new bike/frame is out of the question at the minute, but as soon as it's all paid for I'm allowed a new toy. Need something to look forward to in the meantime - aside from the wedding of course haha!

I plan on buying a new frameset to build up, a frame to be my 'Sunday best' for years to come that can be built up light - ideally sub 7kg.

I already have my eyes on a few frames: Cannondale CAAD10, Kinesis Aithein and Canyon Ultimate AL SLX. Cannondale is the top end of budget, which is about £700.

Ride rolling 60 mile routes at the weekend, but get out for longer (80+) when given the opportunity - along with a few 20 miles blast's mid week. I 'enjoy' climbing, hence sub 7kg, and looking to get over to france in the future for the alpe du huez and ventoux etc.

Only really been looking at Aluminium, simply because I'm struggling to find frames in other materials that fall into that budget, weight and are so highly regarded. That is where you come in, hopefully. All suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    You should consider this:
    http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... -pid2.html

Bear in mind it includes the seat post. In the flesh it looks great and Cycle division are very easy to deal with.

Check out the reviews at the bottom of the page on the link. The frame does look very good in the flesh - very well finished and put together.

The cycling plus review:
    http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/avactis- ... Weekly.jpg

I have the Trigon Rc11 which is not too far off the Himod Supersix evo - which I also own.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you get an aluminum frame in the 700 pounds price bracket you are going to have to spend big to get the finished bike below 7kg. Both the CAAD10 and the Canyon are around 1.2kg the components and wheels you would have to put on it to get it below 7kg would make the point of the 700 pound frame budget seem pointless. I would prefer to spend closer to a grand on the frame and have more options as to the rest of the kit to put on it.

You can buy a completed Canyon Ultimate slx Alu that weighs under 7kg for around 2000 euros with full Sram force 22 and Mavic Ksyrium WTS wheels. That is fantastic value. To buy that bit by bit would add another 500 at least to you total cost.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The kinesis does look great and storck do a nice alu frame.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Caad10 racing would make a great starting point if you like SRAM.