Why mudguards?

allen-uk
allen-uk Posts: 146
edited November 2014 in Road general
Daft question, maybe. I can see the point of dinky little mudguards to keep the worst off you, but why full mudguards?

Do they offer any greater protection, or is it just a hangover from old production methods?

Allen

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It's not just about keeping it off you. Decent full guards with flaps keep stuff off your mates and, probably more importantly, off your drivetrain etc. so you're not wearing out chains etc. as quickly.
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Full guards will offer more protection to you as well

An ass saver ain't gonna be keeping your feet dry ;)
  • marcusjb wrote:
    It's not just about keeping it off you. Decent full guards with flaps keep stuff off your mates and, probably more importantly, off your drivetrain etc. so you're not wearing out chains etc. as quickly.

And work they do - get used to riding with full guards then go out in a downpour without, and you'll notice the difference - and your chain and bearings etc take enough of a battering in this weather as it is.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    allen-uk wrote:
    I can see the point of dinky little mudguards to keep the worst off you
    They don't
    Full length mudguards, bolted to frame eyelets, are secure, reliable, rattle-free and offer much better protection for rider and bike.
  • allen-uk
    I surrender!
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    T'is true. !

It isnt just the 'keeping yourself & Bike' dry, you try riding in a bunch when the roads are wet and grimy, and getting blathered from the bike in front, it aint pleasant.
    Just fitted some myself, and quite honestly, dont mind the look :-)
  • Just done a 90 mile ride to day on wet roads and got home with a dry bum. Full Mudguards are pricelles IMHO for people that use bike in the wet winter months.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    and it's wet roads more or less all the time... this weekend, forecast is no rain Saturday through Sunday... however with 97% humidity, the roads will be soaked early doors as I try to get some 60 miles in 7am Sunday morning.
    My SKS longs nearly got thrown into a ditch last week, but have bodged a screwfit solution so they dont disintegrate with every minor pothole going downhill at over 20 mph this time.
  • allen-uk
    Fair enough, points taken.

On the same lines, how about my chain guard? I use it as I have physical problems putting on cycle clips, but does the chain guard have any role in protecting the chain etc?

A
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    allen-uk wrote:
    but does the chain guard have any role in protecting the chain etc?
    A
    Only if it is a full chain case, and they are a PITA when it comes to wheel removal.
    If you need a clean-running bike these days, a Gates belt drive is more effective.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Discounting the fully enclosed ones, chain guards don't really protect the chain. The lower run is closest to the road and hence gets all the spray anyway. Their main purpose is to protect you from the mucky chain.
  • if you do put proper full guards on wrap some electrical tape (or carefully apply helicopter tape) around the forks where the guard rubs against the inside of the leg. This will prevent fretting through the paint/gel and into the carbon fibre.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    allen-uk wrote:
    I surrender!
    Not that easy, you can't surrender now that you've asked the question. :wink:
    Regarding the chain guard I think they may help as the EPO's station hack has a chain guard and I don't have to oil the chain nearly as often as I do with my bike. But then that could be hub gears over derailleurs or a number of other variables.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    MichaelW wrote:
    allen-uk wrote:
    but does the chain guard have any role in protecting the chain etc?
    A
    Only if it is a full chain case, and they are a PITA when it comes to wheel removal.
    If you need a clean-running bike these days, a Gates belt drive is more effective.

Pretty much that. Stuff like Hebi Chaingliders will protect the chain properly - but, yep, much harder for removing wheels. Ideal for a single speed commuter with something like Marathon tyres for low maintenance.

I have a chain guard on the shopping bike which lives outside without any covering - it doesn't see a lot of oiling!

Gates for total maintenance free, clean life; but only possible on hub-gear/single speed bikes and even then, only with a rear triangle split.
  • JGSI wrote:
    My SKS longs nearly got thrown into a ditch last week, but have bodged a screwfit solution so they dont disintegrate with every minor pothole going downhill at over 20 mph this time.

What's the issue with them? I bought and fitted a set just before they were withdrawn from CRC and have had a couple of issue free rides so far.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    JGSI wrote:

What's the issue with them? I bought and fitted a set just before they were withdrawn from CRC and have had a couple of issue free rides so far.

Just be careful thats all... the plastic retaining button as happened, released itself at the back, the rear mudguard dived under the wheel, locking it up, this all downhill on a bumpy cruddy lane.. the sort of places you need mudguards . As I had already bodged a proper finish to the rear covering the FD, this protected the seat post tube or this would have been gouged out by the guard.
    This is why sks have withdrawn.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    JGSI wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12998446

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12998206