£100 to spend on accessories from Halfords - suggestions?

mlinsell
mlinsell Posts: 8
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am buying a Boardman Team HT650B though the C2W scheme and have some money left of accessories as I was able to get 15% off the bike in this weeks sale. I’ll definitely be changing the grips as I don’t like the white ones they include and the pedals don’t look great either. Can any of you suggest some good pedals that I can get from Halfords?

Also what other fairly cheap upgrades would you recommend I get as I have another £100 to spend on the C2W voucher?

Thanks!

Comments

• bruce225
    bruce225 Posts: 129
    Hi

In same position I've got £127.50, thought I would treat myself to a decent cycle computer, but not allowed on the scheme..

Asked if I could have vouchers to spend throught the year but no. Already got lots of other stuff from the previous scheme so don't need much.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfords used to have the GT BMX pedals, very reasonable for the money, not sure if they still have them.

Their stems are good value as well if you think you'll want a different length.

The Boardman helmets are pretty good, I really like mine and new pads are cheap as chips.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Halfords only sell Shimano pedals now. If they don't stock them they should be able to get Saint pedals.
    The Boardman helmets can't be too good, Chris Boardman has been telling the press recently that cycle helmets aren't worth wearing because you are no more likely to survive an accident if you are wearing one. That suggests two things. Firstly, he is a complete tool. Secondly his helmets are rubbish.
    Halfords also sell excellent Bell and Giro helmets.
  • Assuming you want clip'ins I'd get some SPD530 pedals and a pair of Shimano XC30 shoes.

You might want to look at changing the saddle too, the E4P seat on my new Team 650B HT feels rock solid, although haven't tried it yet as just picked the bike up today :-)

Camelbak ruck sacks are good too if you have a need?

Chainstay protector?
  • BRUCE225 wrote:
    Hi

In same position I've got £127.50, thought I would treat myself to a decent cycle computer, but not allowed on the scheme..

Asked if I could have vouchers to spend throught the year but no. Already got lots of other stuff from the previous scheme so don't need much.

It's a shame cycle computers are not included as they seem to include most other things in the C2W scheme.
  • Halfords only sell Shimano pedals now. If they don't stock them they should be able to get Saint pedals.
    The Boardman helmets can't be too good, Chris Boardman has been telling the press recently that cycle helmets aren't worth wearing because you are no more likely to survive an accident if you are wearing one. That suggests two things. Firstly, he is a complete tool. Secondly his helmets are rubbish.
    Halfords also sell excellent Bell and Giro helmets.

Are Shimano pedals any good?

I don't know why Boardman is saying that when he sells helmets. Having gone over my handlebars a couple of years ago I'd say wearing a helmet is an absolute must and I frequently have branches on country roads hitting my helmet that I wouldn't want hitting me directly on the head. Quite happy with my current Bell helmet though so no need to replace.... yet!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano pedals are very good.

Chris Boardman doesn't sell Helmets, the company he started that has his name does (he doesn't own it).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bruce225
    bruce225 Posts: 129
    Taken off the Halfords C2W website.

Only thing I need is some £20 M520 pedals!!!!

Available

cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078,

bells,

bulb horns,

lights including dynamo packs,

mirrors and mudguards to ensure the riders visibility is not impaired,

cycle clips,or]

dress guards,

panniers,

luggage carriers and straps to ensure luggage is carried safely,

locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured,

pumps,

puncture repair kits, tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs,

reflective clothing,

white front reflectors,

and spoke reflectors.

child seats

Not available

Forks

Frames

Sat Navs

Cycle computers

Go pro camera

Turbo trainers

Cycle racks

Maybe others on here could tell us if they have purchased things from the banned list using their voucher.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Halfords sell Continental tyres. Get yourself a set of decent tyres to replace the nasty originals