XC bike struggling with descents...?

2»

Comments

• It can take a while to get used to new bikes I have just got rid of my faithfull 15 year old cannondale raven which I loved and got a cannondale scalpel, I have taken a lot of time getting the position right..I wonder if your new bike being smaller you are more upright with less weight on the front end combined with possibly poor setup on forks and tires not aggressive enough for current conditions is combining to throw you off.

I started riding mtbs in 1984 on a fully rigid bike until about 1988 when girvin flex stems were the first suspension we had (a big rubber washer on a pivoted stem) proper suspension around 1990...you guys have it easy ☺
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I started riding mtbs in 1984 on a fully rigid bike until about 1988 when girvin flex stems were the first suspension we had (a big rubber washer on a pivoted stem) proper suspension around 1990...you guys have it easy ☺

I hate it when people put crap like this.Yes, we have bikes with many inches of suspension travel, disc brakes that perform in the nastiest of conditions, tyres with rubber compounds that grip. I have been riding since the mid 90's and I grew up up with canti brakes and no suspension, but to say I have it easy now days because of advancements is rubbish. I ride faster than I used to ride years ago. I also ride far more technical stuff than I used to ride years ago. If it was 'easy' there wouldn't be a challenge there and I wouldn't enjoy it
  • Clearly some people set their dropper posts too high.

Even by your own admission you are riding far more technical stuff faster these days which i will admittedly assume you find easier to ride with your plush modern suspension than on a 1980's ridged bike which was clearly the tongue in cheek but equally valid comment I made was about.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Thanks for replies so far. Checked psi ago and well, lets just say it was low. Really low. Now pumped them to about 20 on front, 25 rear - this is noticeably harder than before. I'd be very suprised if they stay this hard because a) I know its gonna give me a really rough ride (unless i seriously reduce the psi in my shock, currently at 90psi = 25% sag) and b) local trails are completely mushed atm and i cant imagine rock hard tyres are gonna help matters...
    I dunno, something doesnt seem right. Have checked various threads/forms on psi and rarely come across anything as low as 20/25, which as i say is much harder than they were. Dodgy pump guage?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I run my tyres at 25-28 psi. Any lower and they will roll laterally on the rim when cornering and ground the rim on rocks. Tyre width has some effect on correct pressure as well. I use 2.35" tyres, if I was running 2.0" tyres I would be closer to 40psi and with my 2.5" triple ply downhill tyres I can run 23-25psi.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Cheers RM, seems like my psi isnt too wierd after all. Rocket Rons 2.25 f/r. Gonna go for a razz now and see how the handling is with harder tyres. How heavy are you btw?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ron's I run at 25 front 30 rear (tubed) much lower and I start to get Pinch flats.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.