Garmin speed sensor question

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited November 2014 in Road general
Got the new wireless speed sensor and cadence sensor.

Cadence one doesn't work/not connecting and the speed sensor also not connecting.

Anyone using the new sensors? Any suggestions? (edge 500)
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Have you set the garmin to look for speed and cadence sensors rather than speed/cadence sensor?
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Having the same problem now worked for a week and isn't doing any thing now even when the 810 has found it ... Going to have a good look at it on Friday ....
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Press the reset button on it and use the flashes to check that each sensor is working. It's very easy to knock the sensor or the magnet
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jules Winnfield
    Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
    edited November 2014
    ddraver wrote:
    Press the reset button on it and use the flashes to check that each sensor is working. It's very easy to knock the sensor or the magnet

There is no magnet, the OP is talking about the new sensors here, not the old combined sort ;)

To the OP, I have a 510 and I also have the new speed and cadence sensors. I have found that sometimes the Garmin has trouble in picking them up. If they don't pick them up then I find that it's best to fit the sensors, turn on your Garmin and when the Garmin has a GPS lock, take the bike for a quick spin up the road, it will pick them up then.

If you haven't used them before, when the sensors have been picked up by your 500, take your bike for a short spin and the Garmin will calibrate the speed sensor for you and a message will come up telling you that the speed sensor has been calibrated. That way then, if and when you come to use the bike on a turbo, it will show the correct speed and distance travelled.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • JackPozzi wrote:
    Have you set the garmin to look for speed and cadence sensors rather than speed/cadence sensor?

You can't do this on a 500, this feature is only available for the 810 and the 1000 so I believe ;)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi wrote:

You can't do this on a 500, this feature is only available for the 810 and the 1000 so I believe ;)
    It is possible on the 500, not easy to find in the menu structure but it is there
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    JackPozzi wrote:
    JackPozzi wrote:

It is possible on the 500, not easy to find in the menu structure but it is there

I believe you go....
    Settings >> Bike Settings>>Bike>>ANT +spd/Cad>>Sensor Details>>Then tick approriate box

Never had to change this but it looks like it should work.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I will have to try the above on my 510 later, cheers for the heads up :)
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2014
    So still not working....

I've looked and the sensors are working as the lights come on initially. But not being picked up at all by garmin... Very annoying.

Have also tried searching for it and nothing. Any idea if you can manually input sensor code? If so what's the code.

I'm wondering if because I had the old speed cadence sensor on my garmin it still looking for that one, any way to reset/forget the old sensor and so look for new ones?

Update##

Changed settings to speed And cadence sensor.
    Not speed/cadence sensor

It's not picked up cadence sensor but not speed sensor at back. Does it need to be mounted a certain way other than on rear hub?)
  • JackPozzi
    So still not working....

I've looked and the sensors are working as the lights come on initially. But not being picked up at all by garmin... Very annoying.

I've been into settings and it's speed/cadence sensor not AND.

Have also tried searching for it and nothing. Any idea if you can manually input sensor code? If so what's the code.

I'm wondering if because I had the old speed cadence sensor on my garmin it still looking for that one, any way to reset/forget the old sensor and so look for new ones?
    It needs to be AND
  • Just updated mate :), got cadence just not speed now lol
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    You need to go into the settings on your Garmin head unit and tick the box for 'speed and cadence sensor' not the speed/cadence sensor

The speed/cadence sensor is for the GSC 10 magnetic unit and completely different to the new separate non magnetic units so if you do not tick the correct box the head unit will not pick up the new sensors

For the Garmin 500...

Settings
    Bike Settings...then choose the bike you are fitting the sensors to
    ANT+ Spd/Cad
    Sensor Details
    Spd and Cad Sensor...and tick the box for this item
    Hit the back button once and make sure Yes is ticked for the sensor
    Then click the search button and start turning the pedals

For the Garmin 800...

Menu
    Spanner Symbol
    Bike Settings
    Bike Profiles...and choose the bike you are fitting the sensors to
    Ant + Speed /Cadence
    Bike Sensors...should display Yes
    Sensor Details
    Sensor Type
    Speed and Cadence
    Hit the back button two times and select search and start turning the pedals until each sensor has been found
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Just updated mate :), got cadence just not speed now lol

You need to do another sensor search and it will be found
  • JackPozzi
    Just updated mate :), got cadence just not speed now lol

Sorry, posted then noticed update! Could try taking the battery out of the sensor for 30 secs then rescan and hope?