Rear shock lock

Connorscotland
Connorscotland Posts: 34
edited December 2014 in MTB beginners
Is this essential?

I had a go of a bike and got a lot of bob, I'm a big ish lad but the lad in the shop advised the shock didn't have much air in it, he said with more air and "set up" It would be minimal.

Is this true?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on the shock, the rear suspension type (swing arm, VPP, Horst link etc) and intended use.....on some bikes then yes he's right, others no. Give us a link to the bike you are looking at and we can have a guess.

Bear in mind that with MTB tyres on road you can get a reasonable amount of bob on a hardtail if you pedal at the wrong (right?) frequency.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is this essential?

I had a go of a bike and got a lot of bob, I'm a big ish lad but the lad in the shop advised the shock didn't have much air in it, he said with more air and "set up" It would be minimal.

Is this true?

Thanks

If I was a 'lad in the shop' trying to sell a bike I would have added a bit of air so you could see. It's not exactly a hard job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Had a go of a Giant Stance 2015 and put air in the suspension to suit my weight and it was nearly not noticeable.

The bike arrives on Friday ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Monarch R shock has no pedal platform, however as the Giant suspension is fairly well designed it's not to bob prone, the only adjustment you have (other than the air spring pressure) is rebound on the damper, more rebound will reduce bob but don't go so far as to adversely effect the rest of the ride.

Enjoy the bike, nice choice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Monarch R does have pedal platform, it's permanently on. Same as the Fox Float R.
    They just use a fixed low speed compression damper.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    In my case depends on how your peddling.... When sat down and spinning way with a high cadence theres no movement in the sus. But stand up to pedal out of the saddle and both the front and back are bobbing like a inflatable rubber dingy in Faeroes.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • rockmonkeysc
    If your suspension bobs that badly when you climb out of the saddle either there's something wrong with it or you need to learn to pedal properly rather than just jumping from one crank to the other.
    My shock doesn't have a lock, it closes the low speed compression and low speed rebound dampers which allows the shock to continue working but with virtually no pedal bob even when sprinting up hill out of the saddle.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    If your suspension bobs that badly when you climb out of the saddle either there's something wrong with it or you need to learn to pedal properly rather than just jumping from one crank to the other.
    My shock doesn't have a lock, it closes the low speed compression and low speed rebound dampers which allows the shock to continue working but with virtually no pedal bob even when sprinting up hill out of the saddle.

Thanks, it's something I'll look into. Maybe increase the air pressure in the rear shock ???
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If the sag is right, and the shock works, randomly increasing pressure isn't a solution.

What bike is it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    You need the right compression settings and riding techniques. Adding air will not work.