cleaning bike

crannman
crannman Posts: 99
edited December 2014 in Road general
jusy had my bike serviced ready for winter the guy told all is ok but water in hubs ? must admit i do use hosepie to get road grime off is this a good idea or just a bucket of water and a sponge :D

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    It's ok to use a hosepipe, but be careful where you point it. Aim it at hubs or BB and you'll risk getting water in them and wreck your bearings.
    You're better off using a bucket and sponge.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Use a hose just don't swamp hubs/bb.

Common sense prevails.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Rinse off suds by using a garden watering can. Simple and effective with minimal chance of damage to bearings, bb etc.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Use the hose head onto the bike - rather than side on ?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    What wheels do you have? Shimano hubs can get water ingress quite easily from riding in the wet.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    For the bearing areas (hubs, cassette, BB,pedals, chain, HS) I don't use water at all.
    Use a brush to remove the bigger bits of dirt, and then use a dry (or moistened with solvent) cloth to remove excess grease, oil, etc.

If you have extreme dirt that really needs to be washed off with soap and water, then just accept the fact the detailed bearing cleaning and re-lube will be needed sooner.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • What Jay says.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yep - I agree with 'Jay Kosta, Endwell, NY, USA'.....
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I use the garden hose on watering can setting to rinse the bike after a mucky ride then a sponge and soapy water and baby wipes.
  • thanks all for replies good advice like the baby wipe idea
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    JayKosta wrote:
    For the bearing areas (hubs, cassette, BB,pedals, chain, HS) I don't use water at all.
    Use a brush to remove the bigger bits of dirt, and then use a dry (or moistened with solvent) cloth to remove excess grease, oil, etc.

If you have extreme dirt that really needs to be washed off with soap and water, then just accept the fact the detailed bearing cleaning and re-lube will be needed sooner.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

Agree, avoid water if possible, because it does more harm than good.
  • What a crock of shit. I've been washing bikes in water for years and for the most part ridden them through it too.

Sealed bearings are sealed, just don't use a power washer near them and you'll be fine. Use car shampoo as it leaves a nice waxy film over everything - fairly liquid removes grease from plates, it'll do the same to your bike too.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    What a crock of shoot. I've been washing bikes in water for years and for the most part ridden them through it too.

Sealed bearings are sealed, just don't use a power washer near them and you'll be fine. Use car shampoo as it leaves a nice waxy film over everything - fairly liquid removes grease from plates, it'll do the same to your bike too.

+1. 20 odd years of washing my bikes with hot soapy(fairy liquid) water and a soft brush.

The only water ingress that I get is from cycling during the wet winter months and there's 8ugger all you can do about that, mudguards help but water will still get in.
  • keezx
    What a crock of shoot. I've been washing bikes in water for years and for the most part ridden them through it too.

Do whatever you like, it's your bike.
    I don't and cannot recommend it.
  • I don't really care what you can or can't reccomend. I'm speaking from experience and I can tell you one thing i'm certain of, my bike has a hell of a lot more bearings and seals than yours.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keezx
    Why bother if you don't care?
    I was pointing to the TS and not to somebody who sprays catalist on metals.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Yup - +1. Spot on.

Just wash it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I always thought washing up liquid used salt as a thickening agent and that is why it shouldn't be used to clean anything that might corrode.

Having said that I've used it plenty of times and never had a problem, I just make sure I rinse it off properly.

Sealed bearings are pretty good these days unless you point a pressure washer straight at them- again, I've never had a problem with water ingress from riding or washing.
  • I live in Littleborough and ride on bridleways made of grinding paste, any components will have worn out before they corrode!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Not that I ever use it myself, but although washing up liquid has salt in it, it is perfectly safe to use. You are not pouring it on neat so the salt dissolves as soon as you add the warm water. It is not abrasive and once you have rinsed it off its not going to cause and wear to components. I have used soap and water on cassettes but I take them apart and dry before reassembling them. Another good degreaser is vinegar but a few drops in water is not neat acid on the paint work is it?