Xmas Tools

surrey_commuter
surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
I find myself totally dependent on the LBS but have memories of being more handy as a kid. With Xmas coming up I thought I would head off the carp unwanted presents by asking for bike specific tools. So far I have asked for T handle hex keys but was also thinking of chain splitter and am thinking of cassette remover, chain whip.

All the moving parts seem to be Shimano, I will probably do 5k miles a year and have a garage to work in.

Any advice on brands or alternative products that I can build up knowledge and confidence on would be great.

Comments

• Bike stand
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Bike stand

even on Wiggle they range between £15 and £150 - what should I be looking for?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Planet x have a jobsworth kit that's good quality and well priced, nab one of those as a starting point and a stand if you can.

No need for books theres maintence videos a plenty on here and YouTube.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There's a stall at the Birmingham German Christmas Market that sells tools hand made out of chocolate. No further recommendations required......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Torque wrench, cable cutters and a tool box to keep everything in
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I have this workstand (well slightly older design and bought via lidl)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKE-BICYCLE- ... 2a42cceaf2

I'm sure there are plenty of better, more sturdy ones, but it does the job adequately.

Also:

bottom bracket tool
    a stock of gear/brake cables
    old washing up/tooth brushes
    Large adjustable wrench (a must have if you're ever going to try and remove an old square taper BB).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rolf F wrote:
    There's a stall at the Birmingham German Christmas Market that sells tools hand made out of chocolate. No further recommendations required......

One down in Brizzle selling them too.

Aldi/Lidl had a set of T-handled allen keys/Torx wrenches for a tenner a few weeks back.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Halfrauds do a toolkit and workstand bundle for £65 and I think they have an extra 10% off until Monday.

The tools are not Park tools quality, but I've been using mine almost every day for years, so it should stand up to occassional use just fine. I've never used the stand, so I can't comment.

As for know how, the Park Tools website is FANTASTIC and Sheldon Brown knows just about everything.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Andy9964 wrote:
    Torque wrench, cable cutters and a tool box to keep everything in

Unless you're a ham fisted gorilla a torque wrench would be way down my list of first buy tools (although I do own one)

Bike specific tools would include a chain whip and cassette wrench, bike stand, chain tool and as you say, a decent pair of cable cutters. Pretty much everything else is stuff you should have anyway (allen keys, spanners etc) then add special tools (such as cone spanners) as you need them.
  • This is a good stand.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    chain whip.

Don't get a chain whip (horrible things) get one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pedr ... -prod31344 - First link on Google but could be purchased cheaper.

Skinned knuckles will be a thing of the past!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    A good quality track pump. I have this and highly recommend it, but plenty of other to choose from.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow ... rack-pump/

Other things would just be a mix of what has already been suggested...

BB tool
    Cassette tool
    Chain tool (this is one thing not to go too cheap on)
    Mini tool for when out on the bike (Topeak Alien III is great)
    Mini pump for when out on the bike (Lezyne Micro Drive would be my suggestion)
    Cable cutters
    Decent tyre levers
    Decent grease
    Chain lube
    Swarfega Oil & Great Remover Concentrate (make your own Muc-Off for a fraction of the price)

I have the Aldi bike stand and it holds my Nukeproof Mega no problem, which is no lightweight! So if you can find one of those then they're certainly worth considering.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Hi - that is very helpful and a remarkable level of consensus. The Planet X Shimano specific tool box as suggested by IT Boffin looks perfect for my needs then just need to find a stand and some "decent grease"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Hi - that is very helpful and a remarkable level of consensus. The Planet X Shimano specific tool box as suggested by IT Boffin looks perfect for my needs then just need to find a stand and some "decent grease"
    Sounds like a good plan. If any of the tools in the kit wear out you know you use them enough to warrant buying a better quality one. For the stand I recommend something like this. There are many other makes on the market that seem to be exactly the same stand with a different label on it, but that is about the right price.
  • CitizenLee
    Weird when everyone agrees ins't it? :D

Finish Line or TF2 for grease ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Weird when everyone agrees ins't it? :D
    No :P
  • and everyone followed me. This is to be expected :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • there we go Jobsworth stand and grease sorted - now just need to buy, wrap it up and give it to Santa.
  • just realised my 5 year old will love having his bike on the stand so maybe that can be one of his presents
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Chain "stretch" gauge
    Stock of parts that wear out regularly, suitable for your specific bike(s) so you don't have to miss a ride and run off to the bike shop when they need changing:
    Brake pads
    Brake cables
    Gear cables
    Chain
    Inner tubes
    Optionally:
    Cassette
    Bottom bracket bearings
    Tyres - at the very least, keep an old set with a bit of life left in them, so you have something to put on the bike in an emergency

Edit: If you ride off-road, a spare mech hanger for your specific frame. Replacement mech hangers are notoriously hard to get hold of when you need them in a hurry...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Chain "stretch" gauge
    Stock of parts that wear out regularly, suitable for your specific bike(s) so you don't have to miss a ride and run off to the bike shop when they need changing:
    Brake pads
    Brake cables
    Gear cables
    Chain
    Inner tubes
    Optionally:
    Cassette
    Bottom bracket bearings
    Tyres - at the very least, keep an old set with a bit of life left in them, so you have something to put on the bike in an emergency

Edit: If you ride off-road, a spare mech hanger for your specific frame. Replacement mech hangers are notoriously hard to get hold of when you need them in a hurry...

Birthday is early Jan so you may have just sorted my presents out for that :D
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Coach H wrote:
    chain whip.

Don't get a chain whip (horrible things) get one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pedr ... -prod31344 - First link on Google but could be purchased cheaper.

Fifty quid for, essentially, a pair of mole-grips with different shaped jaws? :shock:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    CitizenLee wrote:
    TF2 for grease ;)

Get the red stuff and gun.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • CitizenLee
    redvee wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    TF2 for grease ;)

Get the red stuff and gun.

TF2 is all red isn't it? But yeah, gun makes such a difference.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Coach H
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    chain whip.

Fifty quid for, essentially, a pair of mole-grips with different shaped jaws? :shock:

Yep, and well worth it they are too. Unlike spending any money on a chain whip.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've used a chain whip for the last 5 years, probably taken 100 cassettes off in that time, never once had an issue, my whole bike tool kit has cost less than that one.....so no, for most COMPETENT people a whip is fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My first purchase from Planet X and have to say I was very impressed with the speed (and minimal packaging). The toolkit https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWTK/jo ... e-tool-kit seems robust and whilst I was baffled by what some of the tools are they have a 6 mins demo video showing what each is for.

Now just waiting for the Jobsworth workstand to come back in stock.

Thanks everybody
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    19 quid today with the daily deal.
  • Coach H
    The Rookie wrote:
    I've used a chain whip for the last 5 years, probably taken 100 cassettes off in that time, never once had an issue, my whole bike tool kit has cost less than that one.....so no, for most COMPETENT people a whip is fine.

Only replying due to the fact you shouted the competent bit.
    Me, I could be classed as incompetent (often by the wife). Leonard Zinn, not so much. As he came up with this tool, due to his issues with chain whips, I should say someone who is very COMPETENT designed them for good reason. Pedro's thought they were such a good idea they paid Zinn for the design.

Let Leonard Zinn demonstrate it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuuZYN6POPo
    Or read the road.cc review (Verdict: Answer to a mechanics prayer) http://road.cc/content/review/34728-pedros-vise-whip
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Coach H wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Only replying due to the fact you shouted the competent bit.
    Me, I could be classed as incompetent (often by the wife). Leonard Zinn, not so much. As he came up with this tool, due to his issues with chain whips, I should say someone who is very COMPETENT designed them for good reason. Pedro's thought they were such a good idea they paid Zinn for the design.

Let Leonard Zinn demonstrate it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuuZYN6POPo
    Or read the road.cc review (Verdict: Answer to a mechanics prayer) http://road.cc/content/review/34728-pedros-vise-whip

Having broken at least one chain whip through sheer (or shear) force [and I wouldn't say I was mechanically incompetent], I reckon that's going to be making an appearance in my tool kit soon. Thanks.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.