Winter clothing so expensive

redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 93
edited November 2014 in Road general
I'm an amateur rider and haven't ridden since the summer. I'm keen to get out for short 20 mile rides over the winter.

The weather puts me of as I know I will be freezing.

I have bib shorts And can wear my cycle leggings over the top to keep warm
I can also wear two pairs of socks to keep feet warm

However I don't have Any tops, windbreaker, skull caps, snoods or thermal gloves.
I also don't have lights - well I do on MTB but not on road.

I looked at wiggle and the clothing just looks quite expensive.

Is there alternatives? Maybe I should wait till after Christmas for the sales?

Comments

• There's loads of inexpensive stuff out there. You've got leggings, any hat would do but you can find fleece hats for a couple of quid. If you've got a light fleece or sweatshirt you can get a cheap windproof to go over the top. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-ultralig ... 83388.html
    For 20 mile rides you don't need the most expensive, probably the only real cycling specific thing that would make life a lot more bearable in the cold would be overshoes.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Keep your eyes open for the Aldi bike kit deals, the winter jackets they sell are excellent for £16 although they are a little heavier than the more expensive options. I have 2 and have worn them at -5 with just a base layer.

TBH they are so warm that I didn't need to wear them much with the milder winter we had last year as my lighter autumn/winter kit was sufficient.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There are things you can pick up cheap all year round.
    Keep a lookout for winter stuff all spring/summer, thats about the best way IMO.

You tend to get what you pay for, but if you get 70%+ off you are not paying very much.
  • Base layers can be quite good to put under jerseys- although a fleecy jersey AND baselayer will be best for the coldest of days, you can get away with a long sleeved baselayer (you can look in running shops etc as well as cycling) and then a pair of arm warmers over the top that will see you through most of the winter. My fleecy jersey doesn't come out until the temperature drops below 5C- everything else is done with summer jerseys, baselayers and arm warmers.

You can use any gloves for cycling- yes, cyle specific ones might have better grip on the fingers but I see lots of people getting on with cheap thinsulate gloves as long as its dry.

When I was starting out on a small budget I found dhb on Wiggle to be invaluable- their clothes make up the mainstay of my cycling gear now!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-corefit-plu ... ase-layer/
    Something like that was my first baselayer, and it got me through my first winter of cycling with only that and a polyester t-shirt for pretty much the whole of the year. In desperate times I might have put the arm warmers on too. I did get quite chilly when it was cold and especially wet, but if you're only doing shorter miles occasionally then you can dodge the worst of the weather.
    They also have a £20 'thermal' long sleeve jersey which would probably help for those colder days, although quite how warm it would be would be up for questioning- the wind would certainly get through it though!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Whaddya mean not ridden since the Summer ? Up until a few weeks ago it was as good as Summer !

Nip down to Aldi and see if they have any bike kit left. They do some great warm jackets and cyclinng gloves.

If you are set on Wiggle - then check out something like this - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-ro ... ve-jersey/ Excellent value for money.

Sure you can get Assos or Rapha - but its really not necessary.

Oh overshoes. You'll need those if you have cycling shoes. Something like this when its really cold - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXOSH/pl ... -overshoes

As for your head - get a cheap Buff/Hedy/Bandana or two.

If you've no lights - make sure you'll be home in plenty of time before dusk.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Wiggle have 25% off all DHB stuff until tomorrow I think.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Aldi is having another bike sale starting tomorrow, same stuff as last time but half the price than it was a couple of weeks ago!
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Agree about Btwin/decathlon clothing, I bought a rain jacket which was reduced to about 40 Euros in October. It's brilliant, good venting and totally waterproof unlike my Rapha rain jacket which isn't and cost a lot more. It's a bit lary mind but the new version is more restrianed.
  • It's winter, you don't need cycling specific clothing, just warm clothing.
    Put a cheap fleece on under your summer rain jacket (or even under your jersey), problem solved.
    Gloves, my endura windproofs are pants compared to a pair of old fleece winter walking gloves I had knocking about.
  • ^^ or just go to aldi!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Theres plenty of bargains on Ebay or Planet X. If you dont mind waiting around 30 days for delivery from China then Aliexpress is good too.
  • fudgey
    Well, i popped to Aldi in Swindon this morning to grab a cheap jersey and compression top...

they had NOTHING in there, well, 4 ladies jackets left from the last sale.

when i asked about it the staff knew nothing about it, i said in the paper it was advertised as the same stuff, but half price than last time...

So all in all i wasted a half hour that i could have done as overtime at work!
  • Fudgey wrote:
    Well, i popped to Aldi in Swindon this morning to grab a cheap jersey and compression top...

they had NOTHING in there, well, 4 ladies jackets left from the last sale.

when i asked about it the staff knew nothing about it, i said in the paper it was advertised as the same stuff, but half price than last time...

So all in all i wasted a half hour that i could have done as overtime at work!

that's what happens when you follow your own advice.....
  • fudgey
    I even checked on the website yesterday!
  • cougie
    Its worth trying another branch - they might have some left over.
    The cycling stuff was a couple of weeks ago - I don't think they get any extra stock after their initial special.

I'm lucky - theres an Aldi just 5 mins down the road.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Plenty in my local Aldi(Ely,Cambs);got a winter jersey/jacket for a £5,non-bib tights for a tenner and a Merino base layer also for a fiver.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • fudgey
    Meh...

I cant be arsed to go to the other aldi in the town as everywhere is roadworks at the mo.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I prefer non-cycling midlayers with a clean back. Rear pocket zippage soon stacks up.
    Pertex windproof shells work well.
    Get a neck-tube, fleece or merino.
    A sleeveless gillet (thin padded/fleece) is another versatile piece of kit.
  • cougie
    Fudgey wrote:
    Meh...

I cant be arsed to go to the other aldi in the town as everywhere is roadworks at the mo.

If only you had a bike and some winter kit eh ?
  • cougie wrote:
    Fudgey wrote:
    Meh...

Touche_Turtle_and_Dum_Dum_by_dougie_mccoy.jpg
  • cougie
    I loved Touche Turtle !
  • fudgey
    cougie wrote:
    Fudgey wrote:
    Meh...

The other one is actally on of my regular routes, but i dont fancy locking my bike up there as it probably wont be there when i come out!