Who makes thin lycra tights, no pad, waist ?

andy_wrx
andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a pair of thin lycra tights, not thermal roubaix material, waist style not bibs, with no pad, and preferably with foot-loops.

Who makes them ?
- the only ones I can see seem to be Wiggle dhb Vaeon, but the customer reviews on Wiggle are about poor/baggy-ar$e fit, loose/failing waist elastic, etc and aren't inspiring.

I need to replace my pair of Alexa (remember them ?) lycra tights I've had since the mid-90's, the lycra has finally gone too baggy !

They're ideal on chilly-but-not-freezing days where it's not cold enough to wear roubaix tights (I have two pairs of those), so I wear thinner unpadded lycra tights over a pair of padded shorts

I don't want to just wear legwarmers as then I get a cold bum/thighs/bits, I want the two layers here : somebody on another thread was talking about wearing two pairs of shorts plus legwarmers - with that many elastic grippers around your thighs, I'm amazed the blood can get through !

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Some of the running stuff is very good, Nike or Ronhill, etc.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Or smear your whole lower body in Deep Heat :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Look in the ladies section at M & S
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Ron Hill tends to be the go-to brand for that type of thing, but any of the running type tights will do. Google Ron Hill Bikester....
  • dwanes wrote:
    Look in the ladies section at M & S

Don't joke! My mate Chris got so cold on a ride up in the Glenshee ski stations that he bought some ladies tights in Braemar and wore them under his bibs!!! :lol:
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    rafletcher wrote:
    Ron Hill tends to be the go-to brand for that type of thing, but any of the running type tights will do. Google Ron Hill Bikester....

Either Ron Hill Bikesters, although they may be thicker than you want. Otherwise there are plenty of lycra running tights that would fit your requirements (Wiggle has 94 different options http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/run/tights-trousers/)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Endura do an unpadded pair of tights.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Decathlon do some excellent unpadded ski tights which only cost around £15.
    Im on my third winter with them and they are perfect.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I found the bike specific ones too expensive so bought some Kooga rugby ones online direct. Been using them for a couple of years and they're great.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have used Ron Hill Bikesters in the past. Only thing about them, worn over bib shorts, is that the two materials slide easily over one another and unless the waistband is tight they can slip without you noticing. That's why I'd always wear bib longs.

Peter
  • Pair of nike dryfit underneath the bibshorts. Dont slip as the bibshorts are on top.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Running tights from Decathlon. Just make sure, if you are buying running tights, that they dont have a mesh area under the crotch - some running stuff does to keep you cool but it would not be very robust in the area that has most friction/force against the saddle.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Aldi base layers would probably do the job quite nicely.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    deer_dance wrote:
    Endura do an unpadded pair of tights.
    fairly light: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-multi-tight/rp-prod9295
    cold weather: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-thermolite-tights/rp-prod34857

I like them.
    I prefer the ankle zip/gripper over the stirrup that many others use, as it allows me to wear the tights over the top of winter boots or overshoes, so water doesn't get channeled inside.