Advice for buying a new bike

MargotK
MargotK Posts: 14
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I'm female, commuting to work which is usually about 30 minutes one way. I've been using an ancient, aka retro, Dawes hybrid bike for a year but, sadly, she is nearing her end and needs to be replaced.

My budget is about £300, but anything cheaper is a bonus! I'd ideally like a hybrid or something similar that is best for road/commuting but could potentially be used for leisure too. I'd also ideally like something I could get up to pretty good speeds using.

Can anyone suggest some budget but relatively decent bikes that fit my requirements?!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just update some of the worn out items on your current bike and it will be good to go. There should be no need to replace the entire bike, especially if you are on a budget...
  • Is there a Decathlon near you? A flat bar road bike would probably be best for you. Good for commuting but also good for fitness.

This is great value: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-300-flat ... 06479.html

Or even better if you can stretch to £380: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-500-flat ... 39798.html
  • Imposter wrote:
    Just update some of the worn out items on your current bike and it will be good to go. There should be no need to replace the entire bike, especially if you are on a budget...

Thanks Imposter. The main problem is that I seem to have a recurring issue with the hub on the back wheel. Technically, I don't really understand the problem, but there ends up being a lot of play in the wheel making it feel as though I have a huge amount of resistance going against me. And each time I take it in (which is fairly regularly), the mechanics tell me finding the right parts to replace it, because its so old, will be difficult. I've ended up spending way more on it than it's worth (love her as I do!)
  • Is there a Decathlon near you? A flat bar road bike would probably be best for you. Good for commuting but also good for fitness.

This is great value: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-300-flat ... 06479.html

Or even better if you can stretch to £380: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-500-flat ... 39798.html

I think there may be one in the area I'm heading this weekend so will keep that in mind, thank you!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    MargotK wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Thanks Imposter. The main problem is that I seem to have a recurring issue with the hub on the back wheel. Technically, I don't really understand the problem, but there ends up being a lot of play in the wheel making it feel as though I have a huge amount of resistance going against me. And each time I take it in (which is fairly regularly), the mechanics tell me finding the right parts to replace it, because its so old, will be difficult. I've ended up spending way more on it than it's worth (love her as I do!)
    Generally a replacement wheel is extremely straightforward. Unless the bike is using something very unusual it should be simple to just replace the back wheel (probably much cheaper than getting it re-built with a new hub). Do you know what the bike is or the size of the wheel? For example most road bikes and hybrids use 700c wheels. This means the diameter is nominally 700mm (with a tyre) and takes a clincher type tyre (that's the "c"). The rim width can vary a bit too but generally shouldn't be too critical.
  • Thanks Ai.

Apparently the wheels are bigger than the average 700c, and the last time I went in, the mechanic said they are finding it difficult to get the fly wheel off too which means it would be the wheel, tyre, tube, socket (?) that all need replacing which will be pretty costly. And ultimately I'll need the front done too, he said. So he tightened the hub as another 'quick fix' but suggested I replace both wheels down the line, or the bike itself.

Also, I'm not sure whether it's too tight (if that's a thing) or what, but it's just proving a lot more difficult to cycle, especially with any speed.
  • Do you have a cycle to work scheme you could access?
  • I wonder if you have another little bike shop nearby to go and see about your bike. They might help explain it better to you or give you firm options and prices to sort it out. It does sound like you haven't had things explained well.

It might be my cynical nature here but something sounds slightly iffy with the things your bike shop said. Perhaps that is because it has been filtered through you. No offence meant, but I know people who get told something technical (whether car or bike or anything) and then when passing it on to someone else it becomes changed like Chinese whispers. Add to the fact that most (male) bike mechanics have a different way of explaining the same problem to men and women. I've had that with my lass getting patronised then when I came in he switched to tech speak.

If I'm wrong I apologise but perhaps a second opinion might save you money by giving you a fix to you precious friend (the old faithful bike). How much are new wheels these days? I doubt the bike has a different sized wheel/non-standard somehow.

I'm plucking up courage myself to go to one of my local bike shops with my 25 year old road bike that is in need of major TLC. Despite being under pressure to sell it on by my partner, I can't because she is my "other woman" or rather my first proper road bike. It is a really good, old bike but the steerer needs work (quill stem) and I suspect there are old parts that are not easy to source.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    MargotK wrote:
    Thanks Ai.

Apparently the wheels are bigger than the average 700c, .

This doesn't make sense to me. If it is accurately described as a hybrid, then I can't imagine that it wont have a currently available wheel size, hybrid being a relatively recent term for a type of bicycle. If you get the chance post what it says on the side of one of the tyres - that'll tell us what the wheels are. Also, does it have gears? If so, how many?
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    ^^
    Your bike shop is talking porkies.
    Where do you live? Post a picture of your bike if you can. A new rear wheel should solve most of your hassles by the sound of it.
  • I am loving the TLC dear old bike is getting here, thank you!

I think it's 5 gears, but I don't use any of them because they don't work very well. I have it on the highest gear at all times.

@supermurph I don't have a cycle to work scheme but I do see the shops have 12 month/24 month contracts available so I could pay monthly however I'd rather not go for that in case anything had to happen to the bike - the potential for that seems quite high in London

@tangled metal - the fact that I'm not very clued up on the bike terminology definitely makes things more difficult and I can see some of the different shop guys I've spoken to judge me on it, which I full deserve I suppose! So yes, I agree, I'm not getting the best understanding and I have no way whether anyone is taking me for a ride or not (although they have all seemed genuine). What I do know is that there is a definite problem with the bike and I need to go back to the shop on a at least monthly basis, so my figuring of it was - perhaps this bike is just way too old and it's time to 'trade up'. I'm just not sure the time and money spent on it is worth it?

@bontie and the rest of you very helpful people - I am going to post pictures tonight! Thanks very much for all your help!
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Here is an example of wheels suitable for a 5 speed screw on freewheel (not flywheel :) ) - and that's £50 the pair!

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-1772 ... wgodU7EA9w

Not brilliant wheels, but it shows that getting a spare rear wheel shouldn't be too expensive. And I have to say it's not much of a bike shop if they haven't checked and sorted the gears for you yet either. Definitely time for a change if possible.
  • Broadribb cycles has a few options in your price range including Dawes. My wife has the Marin Kentfield and it suits her just fine for a similar commuting distance and the weekend family rides along towpaths/country lanes.

I think the below are all excellent value for money.

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/index.php?CG_ID=2&CS_ID=658&CSS_ID=332

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=16265&Item=%27Marin%20Ladies%20Kentfield%20CS3%202014%20Hybrid/Commuter%20Bike%27

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=16259&Item=%27Marin%20Ladies%20San%20Anselmo%20DS2%202014%20Hybrid/Commuter%20Bike%27
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pinnacle Neon One is a little over budget (unless you can get in a sale) but the single chainring may suit you.
    There is a male/unisex and womans version.

Comparing it to the Decathlon one.
    The Decathlon one seems to be about 20% heavier.
    It says the Decathlon one has trigger shifters, but looks more like twist grip in the photo.
    Having 8 gears in a row (on one chainring) should be more user friendly (especially if the Decathlon is twist grip) than 24 between 3 chainrings. I read that a 3x7 setup only has about 11 significantly different gears anyway
  • @silverpigeon Thanks for those! Didn't know that site existed :)

@carbonator The guy in the shop this week recommended the Pinnacle to me actually, not sure it was the Neon One though. I definitely like a lighter one if possible, I'm not too fussy about the grips, and yeah, probably wouldn't know what to do with all those gears considering I've been considering myself 'single speed' for the last year :) I'll look into both of those, thank you.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The standard Neon looks great. I went for a Vitus Vee 1 single speed for my 30min commute - theres a geared version too - Neon may be quicker though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Presenting ye olde faithful!

@passout Thanks!
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Seems like a decent bike from this info if you are interested:

http://thebikeshow.net/could-u-be-the-m ... the-world/

If the rear hub has gone one the 27" (the old size wheel) you can still buy them new:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... 1-4-wheels
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MargotK wrote:
    @silverpigeon Thanks for those! Didn't know that site existed :)

@carbonator The guy in the shop this week recommended the Pinnacle to me actually, not sure it was the Neon One though. I definitely like a lighter one if possible, I'm not too fussy about the grips, and yeah, probably wouldn't know what to do with all those gears considering I've been considering myself 'single speed' for the last year :) I'll look into both of those, thank you.

It was probably the Lithium that he showed you. The Neon is way lighter.

Its not the grips. Grip Shift is a type of gear change. It came out years ago but is now only on cheap bikes and kids bikes.
    Trust me, if you got a triple chainset bike with Grip Shift you would soon see why.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I don't think Dawes are all that bad. I have the 301 for bumming around and it is fine for the job. I think the ladies' 301 can be had for £250.

My wife commutes on a Spesh Vita and that has held up well and is not bad at all. It is a little out of budget but you may be able to get a 2014 on a deal at the moment.

Any hybrid for a commute will probably benefit from Marathon Kevlars as they are pretty much fit and forget (although this does come at a compromise to performance/weight).

Might be worth posting in the Commuting section rather than Road for a different viewpoint.
  • One for sale on gumtree £100. http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/vinta ... 1089370906. Looks nice but could be nicked, or be a bit worn and wobbly.

Looks like 1970s technology, pretty sturdy and would last forever. You could get a pair of 27" wheels for fifty quid. a new rear mech (gear changer thing) if needed for ten, new gear cables for a fiver and it would probably be as good as new.

But I would suggest you look at a different bike shop to replace them for you.
  • If you say the area you live in hopefully the members will be able to suggest a decent shop that wont rip you off.
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    Seems like a decent bike from this info if you are interested:

http://thebikeshow.net/could-u-be-the-m ... the-world/

If the rear hub has gone one the 27" (the old size wheel) you can still buy them new:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... 1-4-wheels

I agree - she could be the most beautiful bike in the world! But unfortunately she needs a fair bit of work and there's a good chance I'd end up spending on her what I would on a new bike.

I may have found a good deal though. A Btwin from Decathlon (as suggested earlier) with all the necessary extras for half my budget....
  • Oh and it's only one year old. The picture looks good. Arranged to view the bike next week :)
  • If you say the area you live in hopefully the members will be able to suggest a decent shop that wont rip you off.

Thanks. I'm in South West London, close to a Cycle Surgery in Wandsworth. The guys there have seemed decent. I generally have had good experience but it sometimes seems to be dependent on the people you see. There was one stage I went through where I kept on returning it to the shop (a particular Evans), telling them the problem wasn't fixed, I'd get it back later that day with them saying the problem was fixed, until eventually I insisted he ride the bike outside. Only then did he see what I meant and ended up saying I needed to replace the FREEwheel (called it the fly wheel earlier oops!! :oops: )

So I have found that sometimes with the bigger chains, they often don't get on the bike themselves before and/or after the fix
  • johnmiosh wrote:
    One for sale on gumtree £100. http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/vinta ... 1089370906. Looks nice but could be nicked, or be a bit worn and wobbly.

Looks like 1970s technology, pretty sturdy and would last forever. You could get a pair of 27" wheels for fifty quid. a new rear mech (gear changer thing) if needed for ten, new gear cables for a fiver and it would probably be as good as new.

But I would suggest you look at a different bike shop to replace them for you.

That does look nice!

I'd love to keep my current bike and get her souped up, but for now I want something that will get me from A to B at a good pace and without visiting the bike shop on a weekly/monthly basis, which is why I'm thinking of getting a new/ready to ride one, and perhaps re-visiting fixing my current one up at a later stage. I'm just worried that I will continue to spend cash on it and the problem remains for some time
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I don't think Dawes are all that bad. I have the 301 for bumming around and it is fine for the job. I think the ladies' 301 can be had for £250.

My wife commutes on a Spesh Vita and that has held up well and is not bad at all. It is a little out of budget but you may be able to get a 2014 on a deal at the moment.

Any hybrid for a commute will probably benefit from Marathon Kevlars as they are pretty much fit and forget (although this does come at a compromise to performance/weight).

Might be worth posting in the Commuting section rather than Road for a different viewpoint.

Thanks for your suggestions! Couldn't find a relevant topic area in commuting, but didn't look well enough, so might do that!
  • Obviously its upto you what you want to do but if you decide to keep that one and want it fixed up I would I think ask on the London Single Speed forum http://www.lfgss.com/if someone can recommend a really good bike mechanic whos reasonable. On there a lot of people restore old bikes like yours and I bet they would be able to help you either fix it or you'd sell it.
    You should'nt be experiencing all these ongoing difficulties with it. I'd either get it sorted by someone who knows what they are on about or buy a new one. Good luck.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The thing about new bikes is that they're often less strong than the kit from yesteryear. All modern mass manufacturing is much more keenly pared down to minimise cost in the factory. You could get a modern budget bike but it will wear out in no time; been there, done that.

Or you can sort your bike out and it will probably go another 5 years before needing a major service. Definitely find a different bike shop though as yours is not competent.

There's lots of crap older bikes out there but I don't think your Dawes is one of them. It's worth rescuing if the frame is not rotted through.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks both.

Just this morning as I was riding to work I was thinking how much I love the bike, how well it goes when it's not giving me any issues. Granted I still get overtaken by the pros every now and then (overtaken haha - I'm a bit too competitive for my own good) and it is definitely in need of a new back wheel at least, I have had people tell me it is a decent bike, has a good frame. I think I will try and get it checked out and get a good second opinion, find out the costs etc and then weigh up my options.

Advice hugely appreciated, thank you!