Is there a new garmin edge model on the horizon?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Maybe it's the drive before Xmas but I notice that the edge 810 & 1000 are both heavily discounted at the moment. I had the edge 810 on the Xmas wishlist but now wondering if garmin are about to launch a new or updated model. Has anyone heard /seen anything about this? Or is it really just a Xmas sales drive?

Thanks

Comments

• Sales might be because of that black Friday american thing.
  • redvision
    Undertones wrote:
    Sales might be because of that black Friday american thing.

Did consider that, but wiggle have had pretty much a 30% discount on both the 810 and 1000 for a while now.

I do wonder if a new model is just around the corner, although if there was info would probably have leaked out by now.

:?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would say it was Xmas sales drive.
    Companies want to get your cash early before you spend it somewhere else I reckon.

What Garmin do you have at the moment then?
    If you wait for a new one will you just end up wanting the cheaper 'old' one anyway?
  • They'll bring out a new model before fixing all the problems with the 1000 - that's how these things go isn't it?
  • Mechanism wrote:
    They'll bring out a new model before fixing all the problems with the 1000 - that's how these things go isn't it?

Yes - as I understand it, they've only just released the "features" that were promised for the product
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Garmin only released the 1000 about 6 months ago, I know tech has a fast turn around these days, but not that fast.
  • Garmin recently launched their Connect IQ API to allow people to develop apps for their hardware. If you look here http://developer.garmin.com/connect-iq/getting-started/ it says that compatible devices will be launched "soon", so yeah, new Edge models are coming "soon".
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    That Connect IQ looks to be more about Garmin FIT 'wearables' - trying to stop Apple and Android getting too much of a head start on smart-watches.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Garmin are working in a fairly small market with their bike products and I presume that is in part why their products tend to have quite a long life cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if the 810 was dropped before too long.

Peter
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    northpole wrote:
    Garmin are working in a fairly small market with their bike products and I presume that is in part why their products tend to have quite a long life cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if the 810 was dropped before too long.

Peter

Don't think it will. Whilst the 1000 is excellent, it's too big for many Garmin users with the 810 fitting nicely into the niche for a smallish device that does mapping, BT etc.

I wonder sometimes why some of the neigh-sayers a few posts above bother coming onto these threads when they trot out the same old tales time and again. Learn to use the device by reading the instructions and you might be happier with it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Heavily discounted or just ordinary price drop once the early adopters have got theirs and sales have fallen.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Waiting for the next gen 510. Garmin has added Recovery advisor to running watches and i'll like to see that be added to a cycling computer.

510 and 810 are coming up to a few years old now, they may see a update.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • philthy3 wrote:
    [
    I wonder sometimes why some of the neigh-sayers a few posts above bother coming onto these threads when they trot out the same old tales time and again. Learn to use the device by reading the instructions and you might be happier with it.

I don't know if you're counting me as a neigh-sayer [sic] (maybe it's a horse riding forum these days) but what qualifies me to comment on these threads is 10 years as a quality director in mobile consumer electronics and nearly 15 years as a Garmin user (including a couple of months with a Garmin 1000). That you don't like what I write probably encourages me to post.

Is it or is it not true that Garmin have only relatively recently launched some if the features that they talked about when the product was launched? Have they or have they not only just released a significant firmware upgrade? Did DC Rainmaker's review of the Garmin 1000 not include issues related to BT connectivity (maybe he didn't read the instructions properly)? How does reading the instructions improve the battery life of the product?

I know you've spent a significant amount of money on the Garmin 1000 (DC Rainmaker focuses on how expensive the product is) and would like to believe that it is "excellent" and that anybody that has had problems is an idiot, but there's a large body of evidence to suggest that the product as launched fell a long way short of many people's expectations.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I always think these are expensive to have sitting on a pair of bike handlebars and either tend to go for the cheaper model or buy the latest and keep it like I did with the 800 3 years ago. I don't see a reason to upgrade other than asthetics. To me the 1000 looks 'too' blingy to me anyway.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    [

I don't know if you're counting me as a neigh-sayer [sic] (maybe it's a horse riding forum these days) but what qualifies me to comment on these threads is 10 years as a quality director in mobile consumer electronics and nearly 15 years as a Garmin user (including a couple of months with a Garmin 1000). That you don't like what I write probably encourages me to post.

Is it or is it not true that Garmin have only relatively recently launched some if the features that they talked about when the product was launched? Have they or have they not only just released a significant firmware upgrade? Did DC Rainmaker's review of the Garmin 1000 not include issues related to BT connectivity (maybe he didn't read the instructions properly)? How does reading the instructions improve the battery life of the product?

I know you've spent a significant amount of money on the Garmin 1000 (DC Rainmaker focuses on how expensive the product is) and would like to believe that it is "excellent" and that anybody that has had problems is an idiot, but there's a large body of evidence to suggest that the product as launched fell a long way short of many people's expectations.

Neigh as in lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

You keep harping on about your role as a quality director in an electronics firm and how you don't think Garmin's QC is up to scratch. You've also previously posted how you think it is too complicated to work, hence read the instructions available on line and then say you don't think it does enough. It's a bike computer not a piece of surgical equipment. Its functions are for cycling and nothing else. It doesn't need the things you've said you want in other threads on this subject.

Some of the issues you've listed in other threads have not been issues for others and I class you in a minority in that respect. Every electrical component will have faulty devices but you always appear to be making out that Garmin turn out more faulty units than they do perfectly working ones and are incapable of delivering a device that does what they say. I haven't bought a 1000 (it's too big for what I need, I don't have Di2, I don't need or want an on screen alert that my phone is ringing and I'm not interested in Garmin segment alerts) and have a perfectly working 810, and before that, a perfectly working 705. Did I have problems with BT connectivity on the 810 (the same issue you allude to)? It worked fine originally, but with the release of the 1000, yes. But Garmin soon sorted it out and the link with Strava and other performance measuring sites. Some of these issues are down to the changes in smart phone firmware which Garmin have to work around to rectify, when surely the QC Director of the smart phone manufacturer should be gripping the company to make sure their device doesn't cause problems for the end buyer. Bloody QC Directors eh? :lol:
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My 1000 has been worth every penny (paid £405, they are now around £380).

If for no other reason than being 51, I now need glasses to read and the 1000 screen is a quantum leap over my 800. It's like a 46" 4K TV compared to a 32" tube tele. Or, as I have compared before, like Rotring pens v crayons. The info delivery is much nicer and for me is worth the cost.

I like the way it uploads my rides instantly, I like the way it displays and records my Di2 status and stats, I like the weather reports and weather alerts that I can get mid ride. The routing is now excellent too with intelligent bike orientated routing options, on the devise. The battery is good for 15 hours... I am not.

The only function that was promised but only now delivered was landscape view. I have no interest in this at all.

I can see retailers discounting 6 year old 500 and 800 stock but the 510, 810 and the new 1000 will be about for a while and software updates will make them even better than they already are.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • philthy3 wrote:
    It's a bike computer not a piece of surgical equipment. Its functions are for cycling and nothing else.

So why the hell do people need to read the instructions in order to make it work properly? :roll: They're going on a bike ride not carrying out heart bypass surgery! :lol: BTW, it wasn't me that raised the point about instructions - I simply responded that, if the problems are caused by use error (I don't believe they are), then that's as much Garmin's fault. You don't agree and there we can leave it. You have to wonder why Garmin have issued so many firmware updates though - maybe they're reprogramming the users...
    philthy3 wrote:
    I haven't bought a 1000

So your opinions of its excellence aren't exactly from the "horse's mouth" then? :lol: But you still feel qualified to comment? Too funny. I'm hoarse with laughter :lol::wink:
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    My 1000 has been worth every penny (paid £405, they are now around £380).

To be clear, I didn't ever say the 1000 was a bad product. I've said several times that I might buy one again in the future. What I have said is that it was launched before it was ready (even by modern standards of punting out products before they're properly tested). Even if you read the reviews (both from reviewers and from the public) you can see that the early reviews generally pan the product for its issues and the later ones are much more positive. That tells the whole story.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    It's a bike computer not a piece of surgical equipment. Its functions are for cycling and nothing else.

So why the hell do people need to read the instructions in order to make it work properly? :roll: They're going on a bike ride not carrying out heart bypass surgery! :lol: BTW, it wasn't me that raised the point about instructions - I simply responded that, if the problems are caused by use error (I don't believe they are), then that's as much Garmin's fault. You don't agree and there we can leave it. You have to wonder why Garmin have issued so many firmware updates though - maybe they're reprogramming the users...
    philthy3 wrote:
    I haven't bought a 1000

So your opinions of its excellence aren't exactly from the "horse's mouth" then? :lol: But you still feel qualified to comment? Too funny. I'm hoarse with laughter :lol::wink:

I have never said anything about buying a 1000. The thread is about whether a new Edge model will be being released. You have turned it into your one man anti Garmin diatribe (yet again) and my response has only been to point out that the vast majority of we Garmin users have had no such problems. You wrongly assumed I'd bought one.

As for your point about it not being surgical equipment so why do I need to read the instructions; well I'm not the one who has moaned about the difficulty of operating the devices. You are. :roll:
  • philthy3 wrote:

Whilst the 1000 is excellent,....

Learn to use the device by reading the instructions and you might be happier with it.
    philthy3 wrote:
    You wrongly assumed I'd bought one....

so why do I need to read the instructions; well I'm not the one who has moaned about the difficulty of operating the devices. You are. :roll:

Are there two philthy3s on this forum? Or is there one who knows the 1000 is excellent having never bought one?

And I've NEVER said the device is difficult to operate - it's the other philthy3 who thinks you need to read the instructions. I just know it didn't work properly which is why Garmin have updated it several times.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Back on topic (ish)

if you can afford one get the 1000

I'm more than happy with my upgrade from the 800, no problem's , worth it for me for the auto updating to strava, the big screen and strava segments. The screen size isn't too shabby either. Very please with mine and grateful to previous threads on the forum for making me change my mind (aka BS) nice one!!
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

Whilst the 1000 is excellent,....

Learn to use the device by reading the instructions and you might be happier with it.
    philthy3 wrote:
    You wrongly assumed I'd bought one....

so why do I need to read the instructions; well I'm not the one who has moaned about the difficulty of operating the devices. You are. :roll:

Are there two philthy3s on this forum? Or is there one who knows the 1000 is excellent having never bought one?

And I've NEVER said the device is difficult to operate - it's the other philthy3 who thinks you need to read the instructions. I just know it didn't work properly which is why Garmin have updated it several times.
    philthy3 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I don't disagree that the UI could be better but it has improved with every model and the 1000 is now very simple to use and very usable.

If you struggle with it, cycling gps units probably aren't for you (I don't mean you personally MRS).

Couldn't agree more.

I wish our customers had such low expectations as you guys. It's no wonder that Garmin (and others) continue to do such a bad job. If you put up with crap, that's exactly what you get. Next time you find yourself reaching for the instructions you'll know that it's only because you accept it that you get it. Simple as that.
    You haven't really addressed the point.

People (very much like me, in fact) sit in big multinationals and spend some of their busy day looking at complaints, returns and consumer reviews on places like Amazon. We want our products to be the Best. If consumers review products and say "It's not very intuitive", or ring up to ask "How do I do so-and-so" or, worse still, return the product because they can't figure it out, people like me think "We've got to do better". And then we talk to our Development colleagues, designers and clinical testers and say "We've gotta fix this - if not in this generation, then in the next. And, by the way, how can we change our development process so that we get it right first time?"

Again, you're accepting mediocrity, though when you accept that you have to take time to learn it. Why should you? The device has everything it needs. My iPhone doesn't come with any instructions and yet it's infinitely more complex. And it is interesting that you bring up Blackberry because, for me, they were the worst for human factors engineering - I hated mine with a passion because, in designing it, they clearly hadn't thought through want users want.

As for Garmin - they're just fat, dumb and happy because there's no credible competition. If I had a pound for all the people I've heard curse Garmin's existence, I'd be very wealthy.
    Any issues that remain because users don't operate the device as intended are still Garmin's issue. 10 years as a quality director for consumer-operated electronics tells me that's the case. Most smart phones are infinitely more complex than the Garmin and don't need instructions. That's because they've been designed properly. It really isn't hard.

Now whilst you say you didn't have problems with operating the device, you do allude to there being an issue with operating the devices because Garmin haven't catered for the Human Factor. As for not being able to comment on the functioning of the 1000; I repeat, I have never stated I bought one. Have I seen one in operation? Yes and it performed as well as my device. Have I read the reviews? Yes. Have I read the complaints? Yes. Do I think the complaints are a general picture of the 1000? No I don't.
  • Too funny. There's nothing in my posts that says I think the Garmin needs instructions. Over and over you've told people that they need to read the instructions if they want it to work properly. I've said that any device that needs you to read instructions has failed. I've also said that I don't think it's anything to do with needing to read instructions but faults with the device.

Unlike you, I've used the device in anger quite a few times in its original format. It had lots of problems. I expect Garmin have fixed most of them by now (except, possibly, the battery life) so you might have experienced the upgraded device when you played with it. That's something you don't seem to appreciate preferring, instead, to blame the users without any evidence to suggest you are right. Also, a seemingly brief encounter with the device isn't exactly a stress test is it? Did you try connecting it to your iPhone? Do you try the tracking feature on a ride? Did you set up some segments? Did you update the maps? Did you test the battery life? Did you connect it to a power meter? Unless you've tried all of these things and on several rides, I'm not sure what qualifies you to comment.
  • StillGoing
    Too funny. There's nothing in my posts that says I think the Garmin needs instructions. Over and over you've told people that they need to read the instructions if they want it to work properly. I've said that any device that needs you to read instructions has failed. I've also said that I don't think it's anything to do with needing to read instructions but faults with the device.

Unlike you, I've used the device in anger quite a few times in its original format. It had lots of problems. I expect Garmin have fixed most of them by now (except, possibly, the battery life) so you might have experienced the upgraded device when you played with it. That's something you don't seem to appreciate preferring, instead, to blame the users without any evidence to suggest you are right. Also, a seemingly brief encounter with the device isn't exactly a stress test is it? Did you try connecting it to your iPhone? Do you try the tracking feature on a ride? Did you set up some segments? Did you update the maps? Did you test the battery life? Did you connect it to a power meter? Unless you've tried all of these things and on several rides, I'm not sure what qualifies you to comment.

Well the guy using it has tried those things (minus the power meter) and didn't raise any issues, and I again suggest that if the device struggles to connect to new versions of the iPhone when it connected perfectly well to older versions, that that is an issue with Apple and the blame can't be laid at Garmin's feet. Garmin however are the ones that sorted it out.

The gist of this is, you're appearing to say Garmin are a crap company per se because of your experience with a device. I'm saying they aren't because of my experiences with their devices. I suggest that all manufacturers can have faulty units go on sale and what matters is whether or not they try and do something about it. That doesn't appear to satisfy you. Like all things, the only voice that gets aired is the complaints. Someone is far more likely to take to the internet to moan about something than they are to go on and praise something. The various forums seem to have the same old complaints that in most cases are down to incorrect usage/operation like auto pause/stop, recalculate route, save ride, multiple bikes, course/route saving etc etc. A few cases are genuine faults, but are soon rectified through Garmin's after sales service. The vast majority of Garmin users must be satisfied otherwise Garmin would be out of business by now.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    philthy3 wrote:
    [

+1 Well said.

Odd that the recent beta firmware has made Bluetooth reliable. Why introduce a fix to a problem that didn't exist?

Ah yes, because the problem did exist and Garmin (eventually) addressed it.
  • It depends on your time horizon innit.

I still use a 705 bought in 2008 and am waiting for something that's a quantum step above the 1000 before I part with my readies for a new unit.

I'm not even sure what feature will make me do that, I'm not a product designer, but when something comes along as different as the 705 was compared to a Cateye Velo then I'll jump at it.

Given that the weakest point of Garmins is their screens (compared to the sharp 705 or an iPhone) why might you not go for a smartphone based solution? Their screens are bigger and brighter and there are gizmos that add additional battery capacity to extend it to 7-8-9 hours? All the rest of what makes a Garmin tick is just software.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Fwiw I have a 705 and 200 plus a forerunner which is NEVER used for running!

They all have problems from not being recognised when connected via USB to randomly turning off (705) I should add that I've had two replacement 705, one 200 and two forerunners all under warranty, that's not a good track record and not good for Garmin, to be fair they did upgrade the forerunner to a newer model foc no questions asked.

As you might be able to guess I work in IT and have done since the beginning of tiiiiiiime, if that was my company I'd be worried about the number of warranty returns, oh and I'd fire the people testing Garmin connect.

Other than that I'm a happy customer, that said unless my 705 dies I'll not be buying another Garmin product anytime soon. If my phones could actually last 8+ hours without needing a car sized spare battery I wouldn't bother at all, it already has ant+ 4g and Bluetooth and get this it can also be used to play music ....I know its crazy eh!?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Goodness, what a load of drivel. Why don't you two get a room?!

To get back on topic, Garmin have said that they're only looking to introduce Connect IQ to "wearables" (i.e. watches) at the moment, so if there is a new model on the horizon, it almost certainly won't include it.
  • redvision
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I decided to actually try contacting Garmin to see if they could shed any light. Finally had a response this morning:
    'Thank you for your enquiry.
    Unfortunately I am unable to provide any information on future products. I would advise you to keep an eye on our website which will always show our very latest devices and full product range.
    '

Fat lot of help that is! :?

The prices do seem to have risen slightly since black friday week, so maybe the reductions were just for that week :(
  • Yeah, you'll hear about any new models on here (or other forums) months before Garmin officially announce anything.

I think it's safe to say, if you hang around waiting for the 'perfect' device you'll never get anything. I got an Edge 800 in the summer, it's a model that's 4 years old now and it's still ace.