Light Balance Bike

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited November 2014 in Family & kids cycling forum
I'm looking for a balance bike for a 2 year old. I'm thinking a lightweight one is best and the budget is less than £100.

I figure that he'll take to a lightweight one quicker. Most I've seen are about 4-5kg which will be heavy for him to pick up now.

He's been spotted starting to pedal on his trike so I don't think the balance bike will be used for more than a year before he'll move to a proper bike. He's tried one with stabilizers and he pedaled a few feet already.

I've seen an early rider lite bike in Evans Cycles. Anyone think it's any good? It's a wooden one.

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/early ... e-ec015768

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    He's been spotted starting to pedal on his trike so I don't think the balance bike will be used for more than a year before he'll move to a proper bike. He's tried one with stabilizers and he pedaled a few feet already.

Don't see it as an either or. I reckon up until they're five or so, there's no reason they can't use both. (Ours were on balance bike when we walked, on pedals when we were pedalling too.

Within reason, fit is more important than weight - especially at that smaller/younger end of the market. There's heaps of options out there.

Oh, and if possible, avoid stabilizers at all costs. ;)
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Sorry but I don't trust the secondhand market. I prefer to know that a new bike has the backing of a bike shop should there be anything wrong in the first year of ownership (or however long the guarantee is). Plus you know how it has been ridden up to your ownership. That puts the no doubt excellent Rothan from Islabikes out of our price range but thanks for your suggestion.

I reckon next year we'll consider getting him a proper bike. They all come with stabilisers at 14" I guess whether you want/need them?
  • Loads out there now. Strider or a new brand Cruzee which sells from bike shops. Watch out for the size of the wooden ones - some are too big for a 2 year old.

6 months on a balance bike and he will be on a pedal bike with no stabilisers.
  • 2001 Specialized Rockhopper
    2011 Look 585 Origin
    2013 B'Twin Forme 5