UPDATE bearings missing. new wheel/hub rumble

Paul Stumpy FSR
Paul Stumpy FSR Posts: 59
edited November 2014 in Workshop
See my pictures below. looks like the bearings are missing or misaligned

Hi,
Just fitted my new dura ace c24's with the 9000 hub. now, when i spin the wheel up and let it freewheel to rest (bike upside down) every now and then you hear the bearings grumble for a second or so. really doesnt sound good.
Is this just a case that I need to loosen the bearing slightly?
I've watched this guide
http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcent ... ehubs.html
dont want to mess up my new wheels :shock:
thanks
Paul

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Shimano hubs are notorious for being not properly adjusted off factory, so yes you need to loosen the bearings slightly so that they spin free.
    Off the bike there may be a very little bit play which disappears when the skewer is closed.
  • hi, thanks for that.
    i have loosened it off but it still does it, also tightened it. still does it :(
    contacted the company now. see what they say.
    cheers
    Paul
  • keezx
    Need to run in I suppose.......
  • perhaps, but i didn't think hubs needing bedding in?
    will see what the company says.
    thanks
  • just took the hub centre out and looks like half the bearings are missing!! Surely this isnt the quality i'd expect from dura ace!!!
  • tonyhogg
    tonyhogg Posts: 115
    Seems about right for dura ace I'd say, had nothing but problems with my c24's, c50's and dura ace cassettes, where did you purchase from?
  • bugger!! thats not good. the C24's get great reviews though.
    got them from wiggle thankfully so hopefully they wont cause a stink. good thing i haven't been out on it!
    what problems did you have?
  • tonyhogg
    tonyhogg Posts: 115
    My c24's had a dish in the rim, the free hub has just gone, the braking surface is pretty poor, and the c50 clinchers I've recently got from wiggle are terrible, rough joint in the seam of the rim. I'll pay a bit extra next time and my lbs can have the hassle.
  • bad luck mate. thats not good. put you off for life no doubt! hope you have better luck with some new ones.
    i dont know what to do now :(

looks like they were just misaligned somehow. there are the correct number of bearings in there but still making the odd funny noise
  • keezx
    Count the balls and look in the documentation how many it's supposed to be.....
  • Says 13, which there are.
    http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... -3334A.pdf
    still getting the odd grumbling noise though! :(
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Are they made in Japan? Or somewhere cheaper?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • keezx
    I once had a set of El Cheapo Shimano hubs which didn't survive one winter, but NEW Dura Ace hubs should be ok.
    Get back and claim warranty.....