What Bike?

JCroxton
JCroxton Posts: 21
edited December 2014 in Tour & expedition
Apologies to those who read CTC Forum, I've posted this there as well!

I did Lejog a few years ago, I used a bike lent to me by a friend - yay cycling friends! 'Twas an old flat bar Trek with skinny tyres. Unsure of the model. However, I am planning to do it again in the early summer of 2015, but before I begin my training, I need to find myself a new steed! He's since sold the Trek.

I want to do it in 10 days, meaning I need a bike that can comfortably eat up the miles, but not something that will struggle to maintain a decent speed - looking at around 14-15mph average.

I've found a few online, but to be honest, I am a mountain biker so I don't know when it comes to touring bikes what to look for, or even what the difference is between touring, audax and sportif bikes - anyone?!

I'm a Devon boy, and I noticed one of the local shops, the Bike Shed have a few cheap Dawes Touring Bikes - http://www.bikesheduk.com/Dawes-Touring-Bike-Sale - I like the look (and the price!) of the Clubman, but is it good enough to comfortably complete LEJOG?

They're a fair bit cheaper than Evans on the Dawes bikes they have, but they have the Ridgebacks - a brand I've never heard of, but keeps popping up all over touring sites?

Can you guys let me know what you've ridden, what I should look out for, and whether the Dawes bikes are any good?

Thanks

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Ridgeback is I think the own brand of Madison. I haven't looked at their bikes recently but they always seemed good value.

Most tourers use MTB components so you should be able to compare spec levels.

I'm assuming that if you're doing it over 10 days then you're thinking of travelling light, and all you want is a bike that will carry a couple of panniers on the back. It doesn't have to be a 'tourer' it just needs pannier mounts. There are a number of general-purpose bikes that will do that - eg Planet-X Kaffenback, Specialized Tricross and loads of others out of the same mould.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Clubman should be ideal for a LEJOG, that's pretty much what it's designed for. Steel frame and carbon forks should make for a comfy ride and it should have mounting points for a rack and comes with guards
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • As much as I like the look of the Clubman, it says here they have Tektro brakes - http://www.bikesheduk.com/dawes-clubman-2014 - I don't know the quality of these, but the last thing I want to do is be going down the Cornish hills in the wet with brakes that aren't up to it. So I think I'll go with the Galaxy Plus - http://www.bikesheduk.com/dawes-galaxy-plus-2014 - as it has the disc brakes.

Thanks for pointing out about the pannier mounts, the Clubman with its carbon forks, doesn't have a front pannier mount, and I will have a fair amount to take with me, as I plan to camp where possible so I'm going to make use of the bike shed deals and get the Galaxy Plus now! Just realised they deliver too, which saves me a journey to Exeter!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    "what the difference is between touring, audax and sportif bikes"

touring: tyre clearance for 32-40 (max) by use of cantilever or diskbrakes.
    Pannier + mudguard eyelets F/R
    Long chainstays for pannier/heel clearance
    Steering Geometry for stability when loaded.
    Transmission: MTB chainset.
    Max Load = 2-week Euro-camping up to global nomad

audax:tyre clearance for 25-28 (max) by use of long-drop caliper brakes.
    Pannier R+ mudguard eyelets F/R
    Medium chainstays for pannier/heel clearance
    Steering Geometry for stability when unloaded.
    Transmission: Compact double chainset.
    Max Load = Weekend hostelling -2-week Euro-camping

sportif: tyre clearance for 25 (max) by use of std-drop caliper brakes.
    Often no Pannier or mudguard eyelets (need clip-ons)
    Short chainstays for stiffness and response.
    Steering Geometry for agility when unloaded.
    Transmission: Compact double chainset.
    Max Load = Day ride-Weekend hostelling