New Israeli team backed by Sagan

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited December 2014 in Pro race
A new Israeli-registered Continental team backed by Peter Sagan is set to be established for the 2015 season, according to a report on ciclismointernacional.com. Cycling Academy Team p/b Sagan is the brainchild of Sagan’s agent Giovanni Lombardi and the Israeli former Saxo Bank rider Ran Margaliot, and is set to be officially unveiled on Wednesday.

The team will feature 12 riders in its maiden season, five from Israel and seven from the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland. The long-term objective is to bring Israeli riders to the Tour de France, and the team is set to make its competitive debut at January’s Tour de San Luis, where Lombardi is involved in the race organisation.

“We’re working hard to be in San Luis in good shape,” Margaliot told ciclismointernacional.com.

Sagan’s role with the team will reportedly be to assess and advise the riders at regular intervals over the course of the season.

--

Maybe Sagan could have backed some Palestinian riders instead.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    I agree, it's apartheid.
  • I'm not sure Hamas are big on lycra.

Although they do put a lot of business Katusha's way.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I'm not sure Hamas are big on lycra.

Although they do put a lot of business Katusha's way.

You shouldn't demonstrate your ignorance and lack of sympathy in such ways as it just reflects badly on you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Apartheid ? How do you work that out?

There were 37 Israel athletes at London 2012. Did you boycott that ?

There were five Palestinians.

Israelis and Palestinians both competed in judo.

It's not apartheid.
  • Are you serious? What kind of example is that to disprove something?

Were those five Palestinians living and training in Palestine?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Are you serious? What kind of example is that to disprove something?

Were those five Palestinians living and training in Palestine?

As far as I know they all trained in Gaza - in very difficult circumstances

I'm not get into politics - although interested if there is an Israel continental team at races are you going to boycott them - as you would if South Africa sent a team in the apartheid era? If it got to world tour would you protest?
  • How do you boycott a team?

I don't think doing anything negative against them is the option but neither is supporting them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Yep, I boycotted London 2012. It's apartheid.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not entirely sure that you can dislike every Israeli just because their government are out of order. Otherwise you'd hate every American, Australian, Chinese, Russian etc
  • Will they have their own team bus or just occupy other teams?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    They got a second hand one, it was a snip at just £4,999.

Joke of the week :lol:

Joke of the week :lol:

:D
    Contador is the Greatest

I heard the UCI offered both teams a bus but the second team decided they'd rather have both. Sagans team fought them off but the second team demanded a do over for the next half a century
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Continue to show your ignorance then. I guess that is what the majority of Americans are like but would expect more from a Brit.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Continue to show your ignorance then. I guess that is what the majority of Americans are like but would expect more from a Brit.

Would you care to point out my ignorance?

@gietvangent

Would you care to point out my ignorance?

Where do you start.

Maybe this map:
    shrinking%20palestine.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1383592400497

And this picture:
    phoca_thumb_l_34636436-2341.jpg?w=588&h=409

Then you can read some things on this site (one of many sites with resources and information):
    http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • As there has never been a nation called Palestine, I'm not sure it can shrink. Also the 1948 and 67 shrinkage can be attributed to, Firstly, the Arab allies decided the offered territory from the UN was insufficient and attempting to "drive the Jews into the sea" and then, in 67, Nassar attempting the same.

Israel does not occupy either the West Bank or Gaza any more. If you view the entire of Israel as occupied Palestine, I'm not sure we have anything to discuss.

@gietvangent
  • I think you need to read more into the subject and stop falling for all the guff that is portrayed.

You should also read about the Zionists in Israeli, beating and and killing Orthodox Jews.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I think you need to read more into the subject and stop falling for all the guff that is portrayed.

You should also read about the Zionists in Israeli, beating and and killing Orthodox Jews.

Tell you what, instead of just yelling at each other from opposing viewpoints, let's recommend each other some reading. I'm always open to opposing views.

I'll go for Martin Gilberts excellent one volume history of Israel

@gietvangent
  • A book written by a self proclaimed Zionist? The guy certainly has credentials and is respected yet impartiality in this particular matter is almost impossible given how fervent Zionists are and how he would shame himself for life if he concluded anything other than Pro-Israeli.
    Have a look here at how Zionists treat their fellow Jews:
    http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/ ... bis-video/

As for reading, the link I posted before has lots of information and this article is well worth a read:
    http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/1.610687? ... A198582751
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Hamas don't exactly solve their differences with likes of Fatah with a bake off. They're all as bad as each other. There are no 'bad guys' and 'good guys', just bad guys and victims.

As an aside, the cleverest person in my year at school is now the Middle East and North Africa Director of Amnesty International. That must be a fun job.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • A book written by a self proclaimed Zionist? The guy certainly has credentials and is respected yet impartiality in this particular matter is almost impossible given how fervent Zionists are and how he would shame himself for life if he concluded anything other than Pro-Israeli.
    Have a look here at how Zionists treat their fellow Jews:
    http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/ ... bis-video/

As for reading, the link I posted before has lots of information and this article is well worth a read:
    http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/1.610687? ... A198582751

Zionist is not a pejorative term. It simply means "one who believes in a nation for the Jewish people". That's not an extreme position, it's one that has been endorsed by the UN for nearly 70 years.

If you're going to accuse my recommendaction of bias, maybe linking to the bastion of impartiality that is Haaretz and a blog called "occupied Palestine" could be viewed in a similar light.

As a democrat first and foremost, I stand with Israel as the only nation I'm the region that believes in more than one man, one vote, once as a means of democratic consent. The only nation where homosexuality isn't a crime and the only nation with equal rights for women.

Whilst recognising Israel overreacts grossly to provocation and has a tendency to elect paranoid, antagonistic governments I'm proud to call myself a Zionist

@gietvangent
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Whilst recognising Israel overreacts grossly to provocation and has a tendency to elect paranoid, antagonistic governments I'm proud to call myself a Zionist

That's a little like saying 'I'll have the vegetarian special on principle - and a chicken drumstick on the side'
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Israel keeps trying to pass itself of as a democratic nation with freedom for all while the state massively discriminates against Palestinians who were present way before the European gap year students started immigrating and seizing everything in sight!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Wrong Thread
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!