Dethreading fix..

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
Looks like I've dethreaded the mudguard mount thing on the fork (where the stay goes in). Thought I had when I set it up (didnt use that much force honest...) and used loctight to bodge it...which lasted 3 days at least.

How do I fix this? Or what do I buy to fix this? A tap or something? (I know nothing!) bigger bolt or can I rescue the thread? (length of a peice of sting question I know). Theres a hardware store nearby I might visit lunchtime...at the least I'll get some loctight to bodge it again...and I have a zip tie in my bag to get me home.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    You can make a slightly bigger hole using a tap (possibly drilling it to the larger size first). You will also need the handle to turn it rather than just buying a tap.
    You will need to know the diameter of your new bolt AND the pitch of the threads i.e. 10 mm diameter, 1.0 mm thread pitch.

If it's an aluminimum fork you could bodge it by carefully screwing in a larger diameter bolt (steel is harder than aluminium).
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You need a tapping set to recreate the threads (but it will be a little larger, so you'll need a bigger screw, or you can use a helicoil insert.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • could just secure the bolt with a nut on the other side, assuming there's enough room. Previously had to do this at the rear when I stripped the thread for the mudguard mount...
  • cheers people. I'm gonna pop it in to look mum no hands on way home to do as they said it should be a quick fix (and maybe I can have a pre ride espresso...) but I'll definately buy a tap kit and maybe some spare bolts for the next time I do this (and there will be a next time)

Thanks again.