Giant TCR SL2 or Giant Defy Composite 2

mnguyen2
mnguyen2 Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all, i'm a newbie and this is the first time I ride a road bike. Currently i seen a bike i like on ebay, which is Giant Defy Composite 2 2013. It's a used bike but look still excellent and the size is small. His price is 1300$ including shipping from Florida to Hawaii. I just went to local bike shop and take a ride of regular Defy 5 to see if i can ride road bike, and i feel it's ok. I didn't have a chance to ride the TCR because they didn't have the small size. The owner offer me the TCR SL2 2015 with big discount just 1200$ include warranty for a few months. So i little get confuse about which one is better. I don't have a chance to ride both of them, 1 is online , and one have to order. And also i only tall 5"3 so seller said XS will be better than S.
I seen many people said composite frame is better, but easy damage ? The street in Hawaii is not really smooth, and often have to run on the pavel, so i little worry if the composite frame get break easier than aluminum.
Other different is the Defy composite come with SRAM Apex, and TCR come with 105. I don't know does it different alot ?
My main goal is using it to daily commute, exercise, and must be solid and durable, cause i gonna use it for a long time.
So i really need advices from you guys to get a good one, i have to accept offer from the guy on ebay before he sell it to other, or make a call to order from local store before black Friday.
Thank you very much.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Hi, You are aware that the two bikes you are considering have different geometry's, TCR is performance race and the Defy performance endurance?

Here in the UK Giant generally don't supply the TCR SLR aluminium bikes, although some retailers get hold of limited numbers to sell. The last time I read a review of one was in September 2013 in Cycling Plus magazine.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-47616/

You say you have ridden the Defy 5 bike, which is aluminium frame and forks, the Defy Comp has the same endurance geometry but should be lighter and more compliant/comfortable. That is the consensus of people who ride carbon bikes, though this can be subjective and only you can decide that for yourself by test riding, which I appreciate you can't do with the Comp 2 2013 bike on ebay.

Can you find a local bike shop who has the TCR and in stock could be a Composite model, it will have the same race geometry as the TCR SLR2. You need to decide which bike geometry you prefer before you make your purchase.