Fingerless gloves - extra padded thumb crotch?

becstar71
becstar71 Posts: 9
edited November 2014 in Road general
Am hoping that someone out there knows of a decent pair of fingerless (doesn't have to be fingerless though at a push) gloves that come with a good padded thumb crotch? Do they exist? My partner struggles on long rides with pain in this area and I thought this may be the answer? Hopefully someone will know and I can buy him a shiny new pair for Christmas! :lol:

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    No amount of extra padding will help if your partner is putting too much weight on his hands, which he is doing :cry:
  • Lambda
    Lambda Posts: 12
    Assos summer gloves are well padded around thumb
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Rotate the bars upwards a bit to relieve the pressure ?

Maybe need a shorter stem ?

A wider front tyre or less pressure ?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Lambda wrote:
    Assos summer gloves are well padded around thumb

The point is there shouldn't be so much pressure in that area if the hand/bar interface is correct. The weight should be taken mainly on the palms.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The Assos are good - but as an alternative, how about a bike fit for xmas? A bit more pricey than gloves but well worth it if he's getting any kind of ride aches and pains.
  • Bike fit aside, I can empathise. When holding the hoods, even lightly, it is easy to put pressure on the area between thumb and index finger and for some strange reason there is almost never enough padding there. My gloves often have padding in places it seems impossible to rest your hands!

The best ones I have found that pad that area best are the Specialized Gel ones, but unfortunately their websites do not show pictures of the palm so I cannot post an example.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions guys. In a way you are all right. He DOES sometimes apply too much pressure with his hands but even on a short ride he tends to suffer so I thought the extra padding might help. You are right about pressure when using the hoods though, I get this issue. The bike has been set up for his reach so he won't need a shorter stem. He has quite bony hands, don't know if that contributes. I will try the suggested gloves, got to be worth a try! Really appreciate everyone's help.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    Bike fit aside, I can empathise. When holding the hoods, even lightly, it is easy to put pressure on the area between thumb and index finger and for some strange reason there is almost never enough padding there. My gloves often have padding in places it seems impossible to rest your hands!

The best ones I have found that pad that area best are the Specialized Gel ones, but unfortunately their websites do not show pictures of the palm so I cannot post an example.

Yep, best gloves I've ever had are the Specialized BG gel - they used to just have the pads at the outside of the palm but those are only good for flat bars. The new ones have pads around the thumb area which sounds like what you are looking for.

1acb09b85d13cc3ef29d647bfdd91ad8.jpg

They do long and short ones.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • I have a pair of specialized road mitts (not sure of their exact name but they are nice red and black numbers with reflective piping on the back of the hand).

I shopped around a lot after breaking my hand caused pain in the knuckle (now deformed and slightly arthritic) from road vibrations when on the hoods. They sorted it out nicely due to the gel pad location but my problem is different to your friend's. They were worth the extra money to get them for me. However for your friend, he really needs to do as I did and shop around. Try the mitts/gloves out on a road bike in the shop to see where the pad is in relation to the exact pressure area.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Gonna throw out a small alternative here as I struggled with this for a while.

If he has small hands (I use size small or medoum glives depending on brand) then it's possible that the combination of thick gloves and bar tape may be making the problem worse. I had the problem with both road and MTB and kept buying thicker grips/tape and more padded gloves until I tried a different be on a one off. It was so much better. I now use thin bar grips or tape and non padded gloves and don't suffer anything like as much. In fact the only time I do is in winter when thicker gloves start to re create the problem again.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver