Help - where does this washer go in my fox fork?

Shackster
Shackster Posts: 257
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
No joy on another forum so thought I'd post here as well, apologies if you're seeing this for the second time!

I recently bought a used fork on ebay- the fork is a 2011 Float RLC 140mm, 32mm, with FIT damper. I currently have another 2011 fox fork (F120 FIT RL) and have serviced that a few times so am pretty familiar with the fork internals.

The new fork required a fair bit of TLC to get it fit for use so I stripped it down and cleaned everything thoroughly. All nice and clean and ready to put back together now but my only problem is that I have found a very thin metal washer, and I have no idea where it came from! I’ve uploaded a picture below. Its internal diameter matches the hole in the bottom of the air-side stanchion, but I don’t know it definitely came from that area (I found it in the sink after cleaning everything else :oops: !).

As well as the usual lower leg service I also removed and cleaned the rubber bumpers at the base of the lower legs, just adding that in case it may be relevant.

I’m fairly certain there weren’t two of these but I must accept the possibility that I’ve lost one, seeing as how I didn’t know it existed (in case you think there’s one in each leg). Mind you I managed to keep hold of the tiny ball bearings and springs from the damper top cap, so I hope I haven’t lost something relatively large like this.

I’ve searched the fox technical pages but can’t find a diagram of either the air spring assembly or the lower legs, which is where I think it most likely came from.

I’m hoping somebody has come across this little washer before!

Many thanks for your help in advance!
15860282751_21a2ab1155_s.jpgIMG_1786 by Colin41171, on Flickr
2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
Bianchi Road Bike

Comments

• With some scale this time

15249187074_98a6977aa3_s.jpg002 by Colin41171, on Flickr
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • This is the exploded diagram for the 2011 FIT RLC (see attachment, message me if you want the whole thing, I can't upload PDF files). Maybe it's the 045-00-100 (second washer from left in the stack).