Lightweight skewers?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Ignoring whether or not it's sensible to save weight on skewers, are there any outstanding candidates out there? Most reviews seem fairly dated. The PlanetX Ti ones look incredible for the money and Superstar are cheap too:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQR ... bon-levers

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/p ... ad-fit.htm

Both seem a bargain when you have a trawl down here!

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... -reviewed/

Comments

• It's just a phase, if you resist it, you save yourself some money and a stupid impulse purchase... trust me.. :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • You couldn't be more wrong, they're not not an impulse purchase at all, they're needed to go with the Superstar wheels that don't come with skewers. Oh hang on, the wheels were an impulse purchase....
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I've used the Planet X ones for years now, no problems at all, trust me instead :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • You couldn't be more wrong, they're not not an impulse purchase at all, they're needed to go with the Superstar wheels that don't come with skewers. Oh hang on, the wheels were an impulse purchase....

Get them then... it's pretty clear the PX and SS are the same thing rebadged, so the cheaper the better. AMong the crappy external cam QRs, they stand out for the wrong reasons... looking at the cam design, they have the same clamping force you could apply with your finger tips... :lol:

... that said, if you have carbon dropouts, it's probably as much force as these things can take anyway
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Seriously - nobody ever noticed an improvement due to lighter skewers. Save your pennies.
  • cougie wrote:
    Seriously - nobody ever noticed an improvement due to lighter skewers. Save your pennies.

Joking about impulse purchases aside, I do actually need some skewers to go with wheels that ship without them so it's not a silly upgrade just seeking to save a few grams. So if you had no skewers for your nice new summer bike, what would you get? Should be safe, light if possible and not ludicrously expensive but they don't have to cost £3.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Shimano, Campag or Velo Orange all make decent internal cam skewers that don't cost the earth.
  • cougie wrote:

Joking about impulse purchases aside, I do actually need some skewers to go with wheels that ship without them so it's not a silly upgrade just seeking to save a few grams. So if you had no skewers for your nice new summer bike, what would you get? Should be safe, light if possible and not ludicrously expensive but they don't have to cost £3.

The front one doesn't matter, as your fork is fitted with a lawyer's lip to prevent it coming off if your skewer fails... the rear dropouts however don't have such a feature, which is the reason more often than not PRO riders fit a Shimano Dura Ace rear Skewer, the best on the market with the clamping force of an ox. Other Shimano are just as good and cheaper...
    That said, among the light weight stuff they are all just as bad and probably one with a decently ergonomically shaped lever is the better one. The PX one looks just plain wrong in that respect
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

Shimano or Halo bolt-ups.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I have the Planet X ones, never had a problem with wheels falling out or not being able to undo them. Just a cheap bit of bling really, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight saving.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    cougie wrote:

The front one doesn't matter, as your fork is fitted with a lawyer's lip to prevent it coming off if your skewer fails...

I'm sure the OP would have already filed these down to save weight and speed up wheel changes ;-)
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    The PX ones are £12 if you use one of the codes knocking around, UKSTAFFCLA20 works.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    IShaggy wrote:
    The front one doesn't matter, as your fork is fitted with a lawyer's lip to prevent it coming off if your skewer fails...

I'm sure the OP would have already filed these down to save weight and speed up wheel changes ;-)[/quote]

Who hasn't ?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    the Superstar skewers look exactly like the ones that came with my Milensteins - look and are lightweight, but not the most confidence inspiring
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Ignoring whether or not it's sensible to save weight on skewers

You never had a chance :lol:
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Ive had the a set of the Planet X ones. The clamping force seemed fine and they never came undone, but i did find the plastic cam piece (usually made of brass/metal on more expensive sets) did disintegrate from opening and closing them after a year or so.