Cant get tyres off my rims??

steve9uk
steve9uk Posts: 126
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I was in my shed and I noticed I had a puncture, so I started to remove the wheel and then went to remove the tyre from the rim, easier said than done!!! I tried all sorts to get the tyre off but it just wouldn't budge?? I've never had any problems in the past removing tyres from my rims so why on this occasion would they not come off? You would have thought they were glued on!! I had to cut them off in the end :(
My tyres were Nobby nics on Bontrager rhythm and elite rims.
Would anyone know is there a way to avoid this happening again?

Many thanks

Steve

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plenty of videos on Youtube.

I've never met a tyre that won't come off without levers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steve9uk
    steve9uk Posts: 126
    You would have thought they were cemented on! Could I hell get them off.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:

You should try a High Roller II on a Superstar Carbon AM rim. Snapped two tyre levers in the process.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

You should try a High Roller II on a Superstar Carbon AM rim. Snapped two tyre levers in the process.

How clumsy of you.

Maybe having strong manly hands helps.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    And strong manly tools.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Some tyres are just a bitch to remove, and it's not always the user at fault. I had a nightmare trying to remove a Hans Dampf from a Mavix Crossmax rim. The correct technique and manly hands we're no help. Put it down to the tight fit of Schwalbe tubless tyres and the high profile of the Crossmax rim.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Technique is the main thing. I had a friend with the above combo (HD/Mavic) who struggled for ages to get them on - I did it with my hands and one tyre lever at the very end (and I don't have especially manly hands). For future reference though, a healthy spray of back to black or generic silicon spray lube normally helps a lot - tyres that wouldn't budge can slip off easily when lubed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • CitizenLee
    benpinnick wrote:
    Technique is the main thing. I had a friend with the above combo (HD/Mavic) who struggled for ages to get them on - I did it with my hands and one tyre lever at the very end (and I don't have especially manly hands). For future reference though, a healthy spray of back to black or generic silicon spray lube normally helps a lot - tyres that wouldn't budge can slip off easily when lubed.

What was your technique Ben? I'll bet that I tried it! :lol:

I've been building bikes since I was a kid in the 80s and have never had any issues with tyres in the past. I normally don't even use levers.

The replacement Racing Ralph was a bit tight too, but not half as bad as the HD, so I'm still blaming the tyre :mrgreen:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yeah they are stupid tight, but thats probably because you're using a tubeless ready tyre on a full UST rim. Not a match made in heaven me thinks.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • CitizenLee
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yeah they are stupid tight, but thats probably because you're using a tubeless ready tyre on a full UST rim. Not a match made in heaven me thinks.

Yup, nailed it ;)

Funny thing is, because they're such a ballache to remove I've still got the original tubes in from before my sealant arrived as I just don't fancy the hassle to save a few gs + I run my tyres quite firm anyway. Only flatted once in the whole time though, so at least I've been lucky in that respect :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

How clumsy of you.

Maybe having strong manly hands helps.

Trouble is, my right hand's a lot stronger than my left.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    You are a total walker.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I'm too old for rehearsals. The main event is hard enough.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools