Ice did you ride today Bristol/Bath?

whoof
whoof Posts: 756
edited November 2014 in Road general
Hi

Just wondered if anyone rode on the Bath/Bristol railway path this morning. The forecast said it could be down to
-5 in rural areas I gave it a miss due to the possibility of ice.

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    No - I rode down in Sussex - yes the air temp was negative, but the ground temperature is higher - it hasn't had a chance to cool down yet.
    Even once I came off the main road that would be gritted there wasn't any ice about on the road - just frostings on the grass. The slipperiest place was the fallen leaves on some new tarmac once I got into town.

If you ask over on the commuting forum you're more likely to find someone who did ride Bristol/Bath area.
  • I rode into Bath this morning from Bradford on Avon, it was seriously cold but the roads were fine.
  • Still can't ride with the busted shoulder, but I rode that plenty of times last winter and it was fine with just the usual extra care required in slippery conditions especially descending the hill at bitton. Main hazard continues to be inattentive owners walking dogs off leads without any form of high vis.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Still can't ride with the busted shoulder, but I rode that plenty of times last winter and it was fine with just the usual extra care required in slippery conditions especially descending the hill at bitton. Main hazard continues to be inattentive owners walking dogs off leads without any form of high vis.

I ride it almost every day as a commute only missing about 5 working days a year, but some sections can be treacherous. Last year on the section just the Bath side of Bitton station a person about 50m in front of me came off and about 1 second later I hit the deck. Whilst we were getting up two people came around the corner by the station and both fell off. One person went back home for their car and three of us went in on the A431 which was interesting .