What jacket or jersey?

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Seems the titles can be misleading, so I am not presuming either.

I want something to wear this autumn and winter.
Doesn't need to be rainproof, but must be reasonably windproof and able to deal with the odd shower.
All I want to wear underneath is a base layer, like the dhb ones with a windstopper front, or something merino.
Suitable for temperature range 3 to 10 degrees (basically all winter apart from the icy bits and the wet bits).
Nothing that only comes in fluroescent colours.
Nothing that will only fit someone with the silhouette of a twiglet.
Nothing cheap (someone else is paying :D )

Thanks.

Something like this perhaps? http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/castel ... 62208.html

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Assos Airjack 851. Simples!

Peter
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    I tried one of those on yesterday actually. Shame its bright yellow or red only. Seemed very well made. £85 in Halfords.
  • Gabba 2 with a decent winter baselayer.......waterproof and wind resistant.......makes most other kit redundant imo.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    foska toastie jacket
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Gabba 2 with a decent winter baselayer.......waterproof and wind resistant.......makes most other kit redundant imo.

Totally agree..... another one for Gabba 2
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just use a Gore countdown windstopper 2.0 jacket that is designed for mountain biking. It is a looser fit without being a huge wind break and has good length in the arms. It works with just a merino baselayer for me in the temperature range you describe but is too warm if you get closer to 15c. Also is water resistant enough for an hour in heavy rain when I tested it.

Anything similar will be fine. Just be careful of the fit , I used my waist size to help guide me in the sizing as a lot of cycling gear is designed for very slim riders.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    I know they're popular, but I'd steer clear of the gabba. It's basically windstopper all over, so although you can vent with the zip, you can get quite damp with sweat when working hard. It's also not waterproof. I'm not particularly impressed with mine tbh, hype over function I'd say.

I much prefer a jacket with windstopper front (chest and front of arms) and a rear pocket to put a waterproof shell in. It's more breathable than the gabba when you don't need it to be waterproof and the shell is more waterproof when you need it. I like the combination of my assos 851 + gore oxygen active shell, but they don't make the assos anymore, replaced by the habu I think (other jackets like this are available).
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I don't find a gabba warm enough in winter even with a good base layer, it is also not water proof. I switch to a sportful flanders no rain which is made of the same gabba material but is heavier. Pick it up with 60% off in the sales.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Gabba isn't good enough for me in winter. I was getting mildly hypothermic in a September rainstorm in it.

Everyone is different - theres no top for me that would be Autumn and Winter - you could be talking of a 10-15 degree window there ? Maybe more ?

If someone is paying then yeah Assos 851. But Its not for Autumn.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Yeah yeah I know, but look at the Rapha Pro Team jacket all you'll ever need.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm wearing my Gore Phantom now the temps have dropped a bit. Totally windproof at the front and very breathable at the back. Zip-off sleeves to quickly turn it into a gilet. Not waterproof but it's OK in light rain and dries out quickly.

It gets a lot more use than the properly waterproof Goretex Paclite shell I also have.

There's a DHB softshell review on here at the moment; that's also got zip-off sleeves and is just over £50
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    keef66 wrote:
    There's a DHB softshell review on here at the moment; that's also got zip-off sleeves and is just over £50

DHB Switch is currently £39.18 if you use code 'dhbis10'
  • northpole
    cougie wrote:
    Gabba isn't good enough for me in winter. I was getting mildly hypothermic in a September rainstorm in it.

Everyone is different - theres no top for me that would be Autumn and Winter - you could be talking of a 10-15 degree window there ? Maybe more ?

If someone is paying then yeah Assos 851. But Its not for Autumn.

I agree with most of what you've said here. I have a Gabba but maybe I'm thin blooded and don't reckon it would do the job in winter months. Maybe autumn provided temp doesn't dip too much. It's the temperature range which is nigh impossible to accommodate with one jacket. For my metabolism, the 851 comes closest - it has windproofing on the chest and arms whilst the back allows you to breath and manages really well with one or two base layers in the coldest patches. In mild autumn weather you would cook in it. I have worn one of mine for the past week commuting in central London and it's been fine - particularly this morning!!

I have the rapha pro jacket which I've not used much - I suspect it doesn't allow enough air in/ breathability compared with the Airjack and it won't be as warm in the coldest weather. Something like the rapha brivet long sleeve with gillet is near perfect for mild autumn. With brivet, airjack and showerproof in the back pocket, I reckon I'm covered for the autumn/ winter/ spring patch!

Peter
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Flasher wrote:

+1, spot on. It's a fantastic piece of kit
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Exteondo Lodi is my favourite windstopper jacket. See Merlin.

Sportful Fiandre is also nice, and a bit lighter than the Lodi.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

If only there was a shop where I could try them all on.

It's either that or a very big order and an almost as big return to Wiggle.........
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

If only there was a shop where I could try them all on.

It's either that or a very big order and an almost as big return to Wiggle.........

Do this, and pay with paypal so you can do that buy now pay 2 weeks later thingy. Use Collect+ to return.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I don't know what's out there at the moment, but the day my 851 gives up, I'll get another one, if still available, just an awesome piece of kit worth every penny
    left the forum March 2023
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Stueys wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

+1, spot on. It's a fantastic piece of kit

Yep! Perfect. Pouring down or the sun coming out for a bit, this is the best piece of kit i own

Matt
  • I don't know what's out there at the moment, but the day my 851 gives up, I'll get another one, if still available, just an awesome piece of kit worth every penny
    Any advice on sizing?
  • northpole
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    I don't know what's out there at the moment, but the day my 851 gives up, I'll get another one, if still available, just an awesome piece of kit worth every penny
    Any advice on sizing?

I'm around 6' 1", 42" chest, 36" waist and XL is a good, snug fit on me. I certainly wouldn't go any smaller. Hope that is of help.

Peter
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    The 851 has been discontinued for at least 2 years. I've been looking around online I can't find any regular sized ones, just the outsized models. So I guess the OP might struggle to find one that fits. I guess there is always the second hand option though.
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    The 851 has been discontinued for at least 2 years. I've been looking around online I can't find any regular sized ones, just the outsized models. So I guess the OP might struggle to find one that fits. I guess there is always the second hand option though.

Is this supposed to be the replacement for the 851?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-ijbonka-windproof-insulator-jacket/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Assos%20iJ.bonKa%20Windproof%20Insulator%20Jacket%20-%20Cento%20-%20TIR%20XXXL&kpid=5360451388&sku=5360451388&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360451388uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=s4jizf8Jr_dc%7Cpcrid%7C%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C5360451388uk&dest=1&curr=GBP

It looks bloody horrendous
  • Lots of 851's available here.

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/851-a ... white.html

regards
  • robbo2011 wrote:

Is this supposed to be the replacement for the 851?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-ijbonka-windproof-insulator-jacket/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Assos%20iJ.bonKa%20Windproof%20Insulator%20Jacket%20-%20Cento%20-%20TIR%20XXXL&kpid=5360451388&sku=5360451388&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360451388uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=s4jizf8Jr_dc%7Cpcrid%7C%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C5360451388uk&dest=1&curr=GBP

It looks bloody horrendous

Yes. Though comparing how the S&M 851 looks compared to the God knows how you describe it Bonka is pretty pointless when we come to discussing Assos "design" matters.

All that matters is whether they work. And they do. Though, the Bonka, given its RRP is in no way superior (and in many ways inferior) to the Castelli Alpha Jacket.
  • All that matters is whether they work. And they do. Though, the Bonka, given its RRP is in no way superior (and in many ways inferior) to the Castelli Alpha Jacket.

I don't know about the Wonka, but the old 851 did tick all the boxes for me... tight race like fit, yet warm, windproof and resistant to the light shower. Extremely durable zip and fabric, 4 large and elasticated pockets, one zipped pocket... reasonably sober design with no stripes or stupid logos... I can't think how that design can possibly be improved. Over 4 years I have not been able to find anything wrong with it... I just hope it lasts another 4 years, when the Willy Wonka will be replaced by something less ugly.
  • I'm a huge fan of the 851. But, sober, seriously?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_y7XDYcXb1Mw/T ... 0/full.jpg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Given that the Gabba seems to have spawned a fair few imitations - has nobody tried erm, a tribute jacket to the 851 ?
  • I'm a huge fan of the 851. But, sober, seriously?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_y7XDYcXb1Mw/T ... 0/full.jpg

Wearing the wrong size... that's way too big

By sober I mean no big logos, no silly zebra stripes... I have a Castelli jersey with a massive scorpion and a 2 foot long Castelli logo I bought many years ago... I mean, really???
    The dotted fabric is a bit retro-futuristic, but I love it, it does the wind-proofing job immensely well