Which bike computer

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,042
edited November 2014 in Road general
I've been using a Rox 10 since April but I crashed and broken the screen so it is almost impossible to read. I would buy another but for the sucky software you have to use to connect, the curved screen which is slightly hard to read and the fact is does Meters/Minute for climbing and not VAM like everyone in the real world (at least outside of Sigma Deutschland) uses.

So if I don't get a Rox, which computer? I thought about a navi2coach

http://www.o-synce.com/en/products/bike/navi2coach.html

but the bar mounts seem feeble. It seems to have a nice screen. Street price is 130 euros compared to the Rox which is around 120 euros (100 quid).
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    best all-round for price, performance and ease of use I've found to be the Garmin 200 or 500. I had a cheaper o-sync navi2move but the pc interface and route planning and interface with starve was a real pain, garmin is seamless and much easier to operate, with more intuitive menus.
  • I use a garmin Edge 500 now- displays more info (on different screens!) than my old cateye computer could ever manage and never have to worry about magnets or batteries again- put on the bike, turn on, and away I go.

The breadcrumb trail navigation is also useful when done as a tcx file with the turn points put in as well (ridewithgps does this)

Only drawback is they are relatively expensive, but I reckon you'll be able to find a unit for around £100 in the upcoming sales- they're actually £125 on Amazon atm.
  • +1 on the edge 200/500/510. Also take a look at these kind of mounts http://goo.gl/Dx8Hjo for the edge
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    edited November 2014
    I recently got an Edge 810 and love it. If I didn't want/need turn by turn directions, a 510 would do perfectly well.

I personally love the bluetooth upload so wouldn't bother with a 500/800, but if you can live without it too, the 500 will probably tick all your boxes. currently £117 at handtec
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    and yet a lot of people complain about garmin with lost rides, half rides recorded etc...
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    +1 on the edge 200/500/510. Also take a look at these kind of mounts http://goo.gl/Dx8Hjo for the edge
    +Another one, never had a problem with my Garmin even though I keep dropping it when I take it off the bike. :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    davidof wrote:
    and yet a lot of people complain about garmin with lost rides, half rides recorded etc...

How many of those people do you think then went out and bought a non Garmin? 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get a 510 if you can stretch to it. If not 500.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    davidof wrote:

How often did they have these problems? Daily? Weekly? Once a year?

What terrain were the complainers riding through when they lost signal and hence, ride details? Open fields, built up areas, wooded lanes? What terrain will you ride through predominantly? Will you face issues with gps signal due to terrain?

How many people own them and have no problems whatsoever?

Are people quicker and more vocal when it comes to complaining than complimenting?