Bar slippage

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I'm really struggling to get my 3ttt bars to clamp in my cinelli A1 stem. The stem is 26.4mm and the bars are 26.0mm. I have shimmed them but still no luck. Any other ideas, I'd really like to keep the stem as it is a Gios pantograph one.

Comments

• Get some old cinelli 26.4 mm bars... unfortunately these standards are an annoyance
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    coke can shims. A coke can is 0.1mm thick so two neatly cut pieces of coke can will make up the difference. I use a coke can shim in my trek to shim a 26.8mm thompson post to the 27.0mm seat tube works a treat.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    coke can shims.

As used by Greg LeMond to clamp his tri-bars in the 1989 Tour. If you look carefully at pictures of Greg in the final TT, you can see them.
  • cubedean
    The problem with coke can shims is once you have more than one it's a ballache to keep them in place when sliding the bars through. Ideally I need something with a 0.2mm gauge as std which should give me the sufficient diameter. Ill refit my old cinelli bars for now I think.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    cubedean wrote:
    The problem with coke can shims is once you have more than one it's a ballache to keep them in place when sliding the bars through. Ideally I need something with a 0.2mm gauge as std which should give me the sufficient diameter. Ill refit my old cinelli bars for now I think.

Cut as long a strip as you can. (Cans other than Coke will also do). Double it over so it's 0.2mm thick. Wrap around bar, taking up the 0.4mm difference. Simple.
  • cubedean
    rafletcher wrote:
    cubedean wrote:

Cut as long a strip as you can. (Cans other than Coke will also do). Double it over so it's 0.2mm thick. Wrap around bar, taking up the 0.4mm difference. Simple.

Thats what I did, but when pushing the bars into the stem it just forces out, as its a full clamp there is very little room to get it in.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If I were to use Coke Zero cans, will they be lighter?