MTB Helmet advice

Traser13
Traser13 Posts: 19
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new lid - this is slightly more challenging then usual as it can't have the rear wheel adjustor. I currently wear a BMX led for XC and AM and I'm considering a Bell Super - this also has the advantage of a GoPro mount so I can easily head mount my lights.

Can you recommend any other helmet that use padding etc to get the right fit?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You need to go to shops and try some on. There are loads of different shapes and even with adjustable padding not all will fit you.
  • Sounds advice & I have already tried it. The only ones that don't rub are bmx lids. So I'm trying to find options I can order and try out at home. Not ideal but my only option.

So any recommendations?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Same brand as your BMX helmet might be a good place to start.
    I find my Fox Flux really comfortable but you might find it a terrible fit. Try ordering from Chain Reaction for free returns using collect+.
    What's wrong with the wheel type adjuster? Most have it because it works well. Adjust it once and you should never have to touch it again.
  • Same brand as your BMX helmet might be a good place to start.
    I find my Fox Flux really comfortable but you might find it a terrible fit. Try ordering from Chain Reaction for free returns using collect+.
    What's wrong with the wheel type adjuster? Most have it because it works well. Adjust it once and you should never have to touch it again.

It rubs the back of my head, the wheel sits on top of my occipital protuberance . After a few miles its very irritating. So while it suits most people it doesn't suit me.

I've got Bell bmx lid but my LBS can't get Bell stock in any more. So here I am asking the internetz for suggestions.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Traser13 wrote:
    the wheel sits on top of my occipital protuberance .

Is that another name for gentleman vegetables?
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    You can adjust the height of the cradle on most good helmets... I just got a bluegrass golden eye (Christmas present, so I can't go out in it yet) and its shape seems like it would fit most people's heads though. Be warned that the size L seems to be a substitute for a large and an xl, so if you're on the lower end of the size guide it will look massive.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I've got a Bell Super and, while it's a really great helmet, it does have a rotary adjuster at the back. Super comfortable, though.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I've got a Bell Super and, while it's a really great helmet, it does have a rotary adjuster at the back. Super comfortable, though.

Ah, I saw a picture of the inside of one and could not see the wheel. Does it make contact with the back of your heard or is there something covering it?
  • Lewis A
    You can adjust the height of the cradle, so whats the big deal?
  • Angus Young
    Traser13 wrote:
    I've got a Bell Super and, while it's a really great helmet, it does have a rotary adjuster at the back. Super comfortable, though.

Ah, I saw a picture of the inside of one and could not see the wheel. Does it make contact with the back of your heard or is there something covering it?

It's got a strip of padding on it (which many helmets don't) and, while it does make contact with my head, it does so in a very reassuring way and is not at all uncomfortable. You can also adjust, up and down, where it contacts your head (using the red strips in the second pic). I have three helmets - the Bell, a Uvex and a 661 Recon - and the Bell is not only the most comfortable but easily the most substantial of the three.

Helm1.jpg

Helm2.jpg
  • Lewis A
    A Super is basically a bmx helmet with some fancy venting and a visor, if you look at one with the visor removed you can see it.
  • Angus Young
    Lewis A wrote:
    A Super is basically a bmx helmet with some fancy venting and a visor, if you look at one with the visor removed you can see it.

Whatever it is, it's a better helmet than my 661 Recon. Easily.
  • I've got a Bern Watts helmet, which I bought based on the fact it made me look less of a dick head and was sort of skate-y and was indeed a helmet

It's very comfortable; has some good removeable padding that can be washed if you tend to work up a sweat and a level of adjustability when snapped in with a turn to tighten nob at the back which helps give a snug, tight fight on my head
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I bought my IXS Trail RS online without trying it on and it's a perfect fit. The dial works great.

Highly recommended ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A wrote:

Whatever it is, it's a better helmet than my 661 Recon. Easily.
    Not disagreeing with that, it was third on my shortlist, the 661 wasn't even there...